IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Indeed, IBM, and RedHat in the workings for me brehs.
Same here about to spend the next 4 months grinding and finesse my way to a job in devops/cloud engineering this spring :takedat:

As that dr x nikka was posting..Trump winning may be a good thing for us :ufdup: blacks as a whole better get their mind right

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Got my Net+ a couple weeks back to go along with my decade-old A+ :heh:. Have a mixed-role job now (half tech support, half database administration and report building in SSRS) but just got admin access to my company's entire 500+ user 5 office domain :wow:. They want me to start doing account management, AD/storage cleanup, and maybe patch/upgrade deployments with some training; basically be a jr. sys admin.

Now I'm really focused on getting my MCSA in WS. Have a couple of VMs I've been playing with, but about to buy a separate server box so I can get a mini-network going here.

do u have other certs? or just n+ and a+?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Same here about to spend the next 4 months grinding and finesse my way to a job in devops/cloud engineering this spring :takedat:

As that dr x nikka was posting..Trump winning may be a good thing for us :ufdup: blacks as a whole better get their mind right

Yessir. I'm not trying to stay on this layoff for long.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With the experience that you listed in your previous posts you shouldn't have been without a job for a week max if you're mobile:francis:

Cloud engineer are one of the most in demand IT jobs and best salaries

:jawalrus:I'm just trying to diversify my skill set to where I can always eat

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How long u been laid off and why didn't you keep recruiters on deck? I'm always in constant communication even if Im already working a job. Never know when the better opportunity may come around. I've been declining offers for the last few months waiting for something that I enjoy with the right benefits, pay and work environment

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How long u been laid off and why didn't you keep recruiters on deck? I'm always in constant communication even if Im already working a job. Never know when the better opportunity may come around. I've been declining offers for the last few months waiting for something that I enjoy with the right benefits, pay and work environment

I've been laid off since last Wednesday when I heard the news. It's just that I recall in 2009 I was laid off for about 12-14 months and I remember the PAIN I experienced during that time. I don't have a degree. I completed three years at Virginia Tech but life got in the way and I didn't complete it. I don't have any debt and a great credit score though and a lot of experience.

It's just hearing family say stuff like "We are going in a recession" "It will be hard for a black man" "You should go back to school" rhetoric ESPECIALLY from my mom. I remember going from $40,000 to six figures. I know she means well but sometimes she can talk down to me even though I'm in my 30s and being here the past week seeing family and taking care of relatives her and I've had a little friction.

I always have recruiters contact me though. I could always interview at Amazon and LinkedIn. Going to talk to a guy at GE Digital next week.

Indeed wants to schedule an interview with me in person, IBM I will have a technical interview soon and a colleague that works there put in a good word for me.

I had a CCNA for a while but it expired and I don't do any Cisco lol. I have a certification in Saltstack (a configuration management tool) as well. Just really just want to fukking work man!

I could always go back to my previous employer (not the Dell/EMC job I mean) because my boss said I'm rehirable but I'm not sure if I could negotiate a much higher salary with them since they historically pay below average.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been laid off since last Wednesday when I heard the news. It's just that I recall in 2009 I was laid off for about 12-14 months and I remember the PAIN I experienced during that time. I don't have a degree. I completed three years at Virginia Tech but life got in the way and I didn't complete it. I don't have any debt and a great credit score though and a lot of experience.

It's just hearing family say stuff like "We are going in a recession" "It will be hard for a black man" "You should go back to school" rhetoric ESPECIALLY from my mom. I remember going from $40,000 to six figures. I know she means well but sometimes she can talk down to me even though I'm in my 30s and being here the past week seeing family and taking care of relatives her and I've had a little friction.

I always have recruiters contact me though. I could always interview at Amazon and LinkedIn. Going to talk to a guy at GE Digital next week.

Indeed wants to schedule an interview with me in person, IBM I will have a technical interview soon and a colleague that works there put in a good word for me.

I had a CCNA for a while but it expired and I don't do any Cisco lol. I have a certification in Saltstack (a configuration management tool) as well. Just really just want to fukking work man!

I could always go back to my previous employer (not the Dell/EMC job I mean) because my boss said I'm rehirable but I'm not sure if I could negotiate a much higher salary with them since they historically pay below average.

Damn breh thats rough, just stay optimistic and confident and I'm sure something will line up. Experience is more important than degree but then again some workplaces trip on it. My current job is pretty laxed because they just hired a brother in the dept without a 4 year degree but a good amount of experience. I'm trying to leave the system engineering side and move over to devops/cloud but I guess it's important to keep your skills sharp in as many aspects as possible.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Damn breh thats rough, just stay optimistic and confident and I'm sure something will line up. Experience is more important than degree but then again some workplaces trip on it. My current job is pretty laxed because they just hired a brother in the dept without a 4 year degree but a good amount of experience. I'm trying to leave the system engineering side and move over to devops/cloud but I guess it's important to keep your skills sharp in as many aspects as possible.

My goal was going to go back to school for Data Science TBH. I have a friend that's an Oracle DBA that is going back to school for that. He's been doing Database stuff for years.

Definitely with DevOps you should look at Python and Go.

I'm fairly confident and I know my mother is just being realistic. My dad has a Master's degree and has had a slew of layoffs and stuff. Even complained to the EEOC for discrimination and won a settlement as a result. Jobs in Texas and California I'm not worried about TBH as there is strong economic growth in technology in those. I just would rather deal with BS in person vs discouraging speculation from family.

Anyways I got three interviews lined up next week. I've been going through a bunch this week.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My goal was going to go back to school for Data Science TBH. I have a friend that's an Oracle DBA that is going back to school for that. He's been doing Database stuff for years.

Definitely with DevOps you should look at Python and Go.

I'm fairly confident and I know my mother is just being realistic. My dad has a Master's degree and has had a slew of layoffs and stuff. Even complained to the EEOC for discrimination and won a settlement as a result. Jobs in Texas and California I'm not worried about TBH as there is strong economic growth in technology in those. I just would rather deal with BS in person vs discouraging speculation from family.

Anyways I got three interviews lined up next week. I've been going through a bunch this week.
You gotta make the decisions that's right for you. When it comes to your career you know what's the best moves to make better than your fam probably will, otherwise you'll have regrets

Shade

King of Wakanda.
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
What is ya'll opinion on network securities and what would be a good boot camp to try to learn and get certs from?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
One of my coworkers is a UX designer. Every time I walk by her desk, she has a look of either utter despair or straight up boredom. It's hilarious. So, I finally ask her about it. She thinks the company is a joke and said it's amateur hour. Girl has been there 6 months and says she's barely done anything. Her words: SOWs that she's seen are crazy low, nothing is sourced correctly (not entirely sure what that means), and going over budget all the time.

I've been there 8 months and I started to notice things after a while. The laidback culture is a little too laidback. The amount of company documents I've seen when closing user accounts is crazy. I've seen a lot of my coworkers salaries.

The company makes apps and websites for other companies, but there's no marketing department. And that'd be fine if they were still young, but they've past the 10 year mark. I'm just hanging on while I get more experience and skills. Trying to learn everything I can. I don't want my next job to be in support.

My job is pretty stress free though and I'm allowed to watch training videos on the job. :manny:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Cool. Thing are going well this me this week. One technical interview tomorrow with IBM. Getting flown out next week for the Indeed gig.

Also heard that with a position with a financial firm for a position in Dallas they passed on me but, the role and going to Dallas was overall :scust: to me.

Hope this RedHat recruiter comes back with something because he seemed to sound like he could find something that was up my alley.

Flykid567

Pro
Daps
I been researching about IT and not just in the coli and every bodies saying that it's so hard to get a IT job people with 4 year degrees saying they can't get a help desk job and some people saying certs were worthless idk I mostly been on Reddit but my question is what type of jobs can you get in IT except for system admin or help desk and what is a specific path that I need to take to get these positions is there anyone that I can pm?