IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
No more than 2-3 weeks unless they specifically state. Id never wait for a response though. Keep applying to jobs until you have an offer letter im your hands

applied for internships at Tesla and a security company in VA and was told I'm not competitive enough, despite multiple internships and experience :mjpls: . Still waiting to hear from T. Price Rowe and others, it's been almost a month and nothing.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Can I please get an answer brehs :leostare:

At least a direction here :leostare:

Anything:leostare:

Germms

All Star
Daps
Reppin
∞ 216 ∞
Question: So following the CompTia Roadmap

https://certification.comptia.org/d...lefiles/it-certification-roadmap.pdf?sfvrsn=2

How do you figure out which path you want to take?

Right now I'm help desk, but I work at the corporate main office.

I support folks within the company, from branch managers to drivers.

I troubleshoot desktops using LogMeIn (Windows, Printers, Network issues)

Cellphone issues (Verizon, Iphones mainly)

I fix our handhelds (Motorola MC67)

I'm not too sure on where to go from here.

All the paths seem cool on the surface but :yeshrug:

Security seems interesting but I don't really know what that entails experience wise.

I don't want to pick something just because it makes a lot of money. The CompTia website is terrible for explaining each career path in depth.:leostare:

I'm in the military as a technician so I just chose the technician path basically doing what you are doing at first but due to a merge I am more so on the network security side.

I deal with servers and pretty much protecting the network. So currently I am in a degree program in IT for Security.

It's all about what you want to do really. If you more so into hardware I'd go for a A+ cert and start from there. I had A+ first.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How do you all go about applying for jobs in another state. Do u tell them the truth or say ur from the state ur applying for.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
How do you all go about applying for jobs in another state. Do u tell them the truth or say ur from the state ur applying for.

It shouldn't matter, they aren't paying for relocation

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It shouldn't matter, they aren't paying for relocation

I'm talking about getting the job. Ive heard from recruiters that they (emplyers) generally that don't like taking chances on out of state candidates. I was wondering how you all handle it.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm talking about getting the job. Ive heard from recruiters that they (emplyers) generally that don't like taking chances on out of state candidates. I was wondering how you all handle it.
Back when I was applying for low level non-IT jobs, I lied on my resume and used my aunt's address.

My friend applied for a mid level job in Florida with a NYC address and got it. He had to paid for the flight though. I think they might've paid the second time he had to go down. The second time was for a drug test.

If you've got people in the area where you're planning on moving, I'd use their address.

GoPro

EscoBeard Season Has Returned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#CertLife #ITGang
Got my Net+ a couple weeks back to go along with my decade-old A+ :heh:. Have a mixed-role job now (half tech support, half database administration and report building in SSRS) but just got admin access to my company's entire 500+ user 5 office domain :wow:. They want me to start doing account management, AD/storage cleanup, and maybe patch/upgrade deployments with some training; basically be a jr. sys admin.

Now I'm really focused on getting my MCSA in WS. Have a couple of VMs I've been playing with, but about to buy a separate server box so I can get a mini-network going here.

Last edited: