IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
you think someone's going to hire a data scientist without a Masters degree?

Lol lotta cats just dont know breh.

Data Science has nothing to do with certs or even in IT. This thread (really the internet in general) has really warped dudes minds and making dudes think they can get a cert and do a UDEMY course and get 6 figures in 2-3 years.

If Data Science is what you ant to do get a degree in something Math focused or Stats and then learn some Stat tools and maybe python.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I'm brand new into the I.T. Field, its why I'm asking. I'm seeing I should start with certs. If I have to get a masters I wouldn't care.

Ok my bad breh, it's just the way you came off in your previous post.

Sean312

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Chicago IL
Ok my bad breh, it's just the way you came off in your previous post.
Lol lotta cats just dont know breh.

Data Science has nothing to do with certs or even in IT. This thread (really the internet in general) has really warped dudes minds and making dudes think they can get a cert and do a UDEMY course and get 6 figures in 2-3 years.

If Data Science is what you ant to do get a degree in something Math focused or Stats and then learn some Stat tools and maybe python.
Yeah, it looks like if you just get a bunch of certs that you can get into a decent paying job 60k plus, but im reading through these 500 pages, I'm sure ill find the info im looking for.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Depends on all sorts of things like: Your location, job market, your skills and experience, whether or not you currently have a job or are in a good position to negotiate, etc.
I know that rookie:comeon:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Well, provide the proper info and maybe you get a better answer :yeshrug:
Have a nice night sir

tumblr_inline_o4savrDEF01su0u0c_500.gif

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Question: So following the CompTia Roadmap

https://certification.comptia.org/d...lefiles/it-certification-roadmap.pdf?sfvrsn=2

How do you figure out which path you want to take?

Right now I'm help desk, but I work at the corporate main office.

I support folks within the company, from branch managers to drivers.

I troubleshoot desktops using LogMeIn (Windows, Printers, Network issues)

Cellphone issues (Verizon, Iphones mainly)

I fix our handhelds (Motorola MC67)

I'm not too sure on where to go from here.

All the paths seem cool on the surface but :yeshrug:

Security seems interesting but I don't really know what that entails experience wise.

I don't want to pick something just because it makes a lot of money. The CompTia website is terrible for explaining each career path in depth.:leostare:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
There's a meeting on Monday between the HR manager and my boss about setting up oversight for me. According to the meeting description, it's follow up to a chat that HR had with the general manager. My old boss left back in July and they put me under the IT director. I've had exactly 1 meeting about my work with him since then. Every time I try to meet with with a higher-up; they cancel because they're busy.. My boss has apologized for this and said he'll have more time in a week or so, but that was like 3 weeks ago. So I managed to finally set up a video conference with one of the tech director from Australia for tomorrow.

Honestly, I think I might need to start applying for jobs again. :snoop:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Did a scripting challenge for Indeed.com. I'm pretty sure they want to compete head on with LinkedIn so they are looking for SRE roles.

Talking to a guy tomorrow about the role. We will see. I hope the salary is competitive and I'm a good fit for the role. They want to do more automation so it seems up my alley.

Spotify has some scripting challenges for their roles also I may get into.

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
question about my job and what i feel it sets me up for: I'm dealing with Cable,DSL,and Fiber connections dealing with DHCP leases as well as dial-ups IMAP and POP and setting up emails on the email front and setting up elderly residents with MAC addresses is this setting me up for the Network route?

Flykid567

Pro
Daps
How is Military IT? I been looking into going into rotc for the navy or the airforce as a I formation Officer or Cyber Officer something like that.
Also for my degree in IT I have to take these classes I'm not to sure about how hard or easy are they
Introduction to Computer Programming
Database management
Trigonometry
Physics

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
How long is it suppose to take before hearing back from an employer about an internship?

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Got a job with this place called GTL...found out they are part of the prison-industrial complex :upsetfavre: