IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Thought I'd give a brief update. Took the 801/802 tests right before they phased out and bombed them both. Look like I'll be taking the 901/902 early next year.
I got a new job as an Network Administrator I. It's great the pay is much better and it's closer to home.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Any of you IT gurus know anything about IT Pharmacy? Looking at some career options once I finish up my degree in pharmacy. :patrice:

I know a couple dudes who do some of this stuff. Working on the Epic side. It's kind of a weird niche you gotta get into. App analysis departments like to pull from a combo of the clinical side and technical side, so :manny:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Thought I'd give a brief update. Took the 801/802 tests right before they phased out and bombed them both. Look like I'll be taking the 901/902 early next year.
I got a new job as an Network Administrator I. It's great the pay is much better and it's closer to home.
You have a degree already or something?

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
I know a couple dudes who do some of this stuff. Working on the Epic side. It's kind of a weird niche you gotta get into. App analysis departments like to pull from a combo of the clinical side and technical side, so :manny:
any info is appreciated fam

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
any info is appreciated fam

Basically I see most of these guys in app analysis . They come from the medical side, have some computer skills and/or customer support exp. They usually know their respective apps front to back, and will work with systems and network teams to optimize them for userbases. Where I work they're usually customizing the UI or featureset of the hospital medical records system or other apps. You can definitely transition from the pharmacy and nursing sides.

:manny:

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
Basically I see most of these guys in app analysis . They come from the medical side, have some computer skills and/or customer support exp. They usually know their respective apps front to back, and will work with systems and network teams to optimize them for userbases. Where I work they're usually customizing the UI or featureset of the hospital medical records system or other apps. You can definitely transition from the pharmacy and nursing sides.

:manny:
Im'a hit you up in the Dandy thread later

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest

If you're a network admin :dahell: you taking the a+ exam for?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Man...I have three months severance and I was making a six figure salary. I am going back to Atlanta to visit family so I have really minimum debt and a lot of mobility.

Still I want to fukking work. Some people actually enjoy solving big problems. Plus I'm not trying to go into my emergency funds.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Man...I have three months severance and I was making a six figure salary. I am going back to Atlanta to visit family so I have really minimum debt and a lot of mobility.

Still I want to fukking work. Some people actually enjoy solving big problems. Plus I'm not trying to go into my emergency funds.
Takes 3 to 6 months to find a job. Get to it

Daps
If you're a network admin :dahell: you taking the a+ exam for?
Thought it would nice to have. I planned on getting the A+ then taking the Security+/Network+ afterwards. Should I forget about A+ and start working towards the other ones?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
lol talked to American Express for two Systems Engineers jobs (one with Openstack) in Pheonix AZ and one in Palo Alto CA. I asked for $75/hr if it was contract and he said that was too high. :comeon:

You asking me for an engineer job and expect me to relocate. I'm not being unreasonable here for a 6-9 month contract... :francis:

Spin

All Star
Daps
Thought it would nice to have. I planned on getting the A+ then taking the Security+/Network+ afterwards. Should I forget about A+ and start working towards the other ones?

Man you already got a IT job which is the hardest part. Skip the A+ and go for a cert that is related to the field of IT you actually enjoy. I would of traded you for your job experience instead of spending the past 6 months studying for the A+ and CCNA just to get into the field.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
lol talked to American Express for two Systems Engineers jobs (one with Openstack) in Pheonix AZ and one in Palo Alto CA. I asked for $75/hr if it was contract and he said that was too high. :comeon:

You asking me for an engineer job and expect me to relocate. I'm not being unreasonable here for a 6-9 month contract... :francis:

you dont want to work for AMEX, trust me.