IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
My brehs I want to break into IT. I'm having fun learning C# and want to continue but I want break into a decent job asap. What certs do I need? Help please.
for development, certs aren't as big a deal. It may get you better pay, but I have no idea, I've eaten pretty good without certs. I taught myself a little programming then went to school for it, and basically from school i learned more about concepts. Like data structures, algorithms (searches and sorts), but most important of all is knowning when to use them.

One thing you can do, if you feel comfortable, is apply for some jobs, do some interviews and see how comfortable you are answering questions, and anything you don't know, you google and learn.

And try to get some projects under your belt and put them on that resume/linkedin. Speaking from experience is always a plus.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
for development, certs aren't as big a deal. It may get you better pay, but I have no idea, I've eaten pretty good without certs. I taught myself a little programming then went to school for it, and basically from school i learned more about concepts. Like data structures, algorithms (searches and sorts), but most important of all is knowning when to use them.

One thing you can do, if you feel comfortable, is apply for some jobs, do some interviews and see how comfortable you are answering questions, and anything you don't know, you google and learn.

And try to get some projects under your belt and put them on that resume/linkedin. Speaking from experience is always a plus.
Thank you

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
Just got promoted, now I'm finally free from the hell that is the help desk :blessed:
I've waited a year for this very moment.:mjcry: I ain't never going back to answering the phone.

Got a nice little $2 raise too.:ehh:

There were other techs with more experience that could've gotten the promotion but my manager said my recently acquired CCNA put me over the edge. They must've sensed I was looking to jump ship soon. Looks like I will stick around for at least 6 months before deciding to test the waters again.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Just got promoted, now I'm finally free from the hell that is the help desk :blessed:
I've waited a year for this very moment.:mjcry: I ain't never going back to answering the phone.

Got a nice little $2 raise too.:ehh:

There were other techs with more experience that could've gotten the promotion but my manager said my recently acquired CCNA put me over the edge. They must've sensed I was looking to jump ship soon. Looks like I will stick around for at least 6 months before deciding to test the waters again.

promoted to what title?

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
Any of you IT gurus know anything about IT Pharmacy? Looking at some career options once I finish up my degree in pharmacy. :patrice:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Basically I was scheduled a call with my boss today for 30 minutes. HR lady is on the call with us and my boss and her explain that for business needs my position has been eliminated.

Being that there was a HUGE merger between Dell and EMC, some smaller companies and roles were eliminated. I really liked the job. Six figure income, remote, doing what I love.

I'm fortunate to have gotten it and I know I can get another job. It's just a pain in the ass because of what I expect of myself. The good news is that I'm eligible for rehire with any Dell company (VMware, SecureWorks, etc for example).

Also I just got a bonus and I get a severance package through Jan 26th and the last bonus at that time prorated. So I actually get a pretty sick payout in the interim.

I was actually going to Atlanta this weekend for a month or two to visit family and work from there. This sidetracks things slightly because I need to get back on the work grind.

My old boss did just text me telling me that I'm rehirable.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Basically I was scheduled a call with my boss today for 30 minutes. HR lady is on the call with us and my boss and her explain that for business needs my position has been eliminated.

Being that there was a HUGE merger between Dell and EMC, some smaller companies and roles were eliminated. I really liked the job. Six figure income, remote, doing what I love.

I'm fortunate to have gotten it and I know I can get another job. It's just a pain in the ass because of what I expect of myself. The good news is that I'm eligible for rehire with any Dell company (VMware, SecureWorks, etc for example).

Also I just got a bonus and I get a severance package through Jan 26th and the last bonus at that time prorated. So I actually get a pretty sick payout in the interim.

I was actually going to Atlanta this weekend for a month or two to visit family and work from there. This sidetracks things slightly because I need to get back on the work grind.

My old boss did just text me telling me that I'm rehirable.

Your goal is to move to another vendor?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Your goal is to move to another vendor?

I'm going to go where my opportunities lie. I'm a site reliability engineer and specialize in storage. My skills are needed somewhere just where is the question...

I also do some configuration management.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm going to go where my opportunities lie. I'm a site reliability engineer and specialize in storage. My skills are needed somewhere just where is the question...

I also do some configuration management.

Oh ok you should be good. Tons of opportunity in the A too with companies like home depot, delta, etc

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Already got opportunities I'm talking to about object storage.

Just with these fukking mergers it is NEVER good for the company being bought.