IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps
Can a breh get some pointers on the best route to take if you are un-CS-degreed but a good quick learner and your primary interests are:

UI design
Game Design/VR

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Can a breh get some pointers on the best route to take if you are un-CS-degreed but a good quick learner and your primary interests are:

UI design
Game Design/VR
I could be wrong, but for UI design you're gonna need a degree in interaction design or HCI.

For game design, you gotta learn to code. Make mods and other indie projects to have as your portfolio, assuming your ultimate goal is a job.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Speaking of sexy recruiters imagine people start using LinkedIn to get dates :russ::russ:

This Latina hit me up to follow up for a job but I'm not interested in the job...:shaq:

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

UI design
Game Design/VR
UI Design or developer?

If you like messing around with UIs, learn HTML, CSS and Javascript and jump in on front-end development. Try out freecodecamp.com or codecademy.com.

You want to be a game developer, especially for VR? That's going to take a long time because game development is mathematically intense and is one of the most difficult forms of programming. But if you want it, it's out there.

Spin

All Star
Daps
Anyone have any experience dealing with IT consultants from Bain/McKinsey/etc? I was curious at how consultants from these firms could give informed opinions regarding IT if they come from a mostly financial background. Wouldn't a CIO be better equipped to do deal with situations than a consulting firm when it comes to IT? Financially it seems IT strategy consulting could be a good gig.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Anyone have any experience dealing with IT consultants from Bain/McKinsey/etc? I was curious at how consultants from these firms could give informed opinions regarding IT if they come from a mostly financial background. Wouldn't a CIO be better equipped to do deal with situations than a consulting firm when it comes to IT? Financially it seems IT strategy consulting could be a good gig.
Most consultants unless they are from a vendor providing a product are idiots

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm coming up on a year in consulting and I'm ready to go back to industry.
Yup its for the birds and is OD cliqish. Literally cats hope between companies and bring all their friends with them no matter how dumb they are, and the clients are so dumb and dont even know what they are trying tk accomplish. Literally felt dumber by the day And Im too young to just be sitting around collecting a check and not gaining skills.

Daps
Reppin
MD
Yup its for the birds and is OD cliqish. Literally cats hope between companies and bring all their friends with them no matter how dumb they are, and the clients are so dumb and dont even know what they are trying tk accomplish. Literally felt dumber by the day And Im too young to just be sitting around collecting a check and not gaining skills.

I definitely learned a lot but I feel like my client doesn't know what they want or doesn't want to fund the solution we proposed to them. So we are making this makeshift GRC tool from an access database :martin:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
My brehs I want to break into IT. I'm having fun learning C# and want to continue but I want break into a decent job asap. What certs do I need? Help please.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
You're better off watching Mr. Robot and becoming a hacker then going to jail and getting hired by the government
What is a breh to do?
Slowly learning C# on my own.