IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Any truth to the rumors of storage related jobs being obsolete in the future? I've been working with SAN storage for the last year at my latest gig

Maybe certain ones. I'm in object storage. Think Dropbox. It's the new hotness now. Storage demand with the amount of unstructured data out there will be here for a while

semtex

:)
Daps
I'm a pretty damn good developer but I feel my infrastructure knowledge is sorely lacking

Daps
Maybe certain ones. I'm in object storage. Think Dropbox. It's the new hotness now. Storage demand with the amount of unstructured data out there will be here for a while

Data has to be stored somewhere. Even if its in the "cloud" its sitting on a server, a SAN or a NAS or some sort. The jobs wont go away. They may just be different.

Also, for the forseable future, there is no risk because companies still have to have certain data sets onprem. They fear putting highly regulated data on a third party server(the cloud) where they lose control of it. So most companies will still have at least some data in house even if they do move some stuff to the cloud.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If everything moves to the cloud. They'll still need people on the server side to maintain storage devices :patrice:
I was speaking in terms of storage controllers making everything easier. I met with Pure a few weeks ago and they were trying to sell me some bricks that simplified a lot of tasks which EMC made complex ie replication, easier storage group/pool management

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown

The company I work for is hiring and the recruiter I'm cool with was telling me to let them know of anyone...the positions are for the MD/DMV area as far as I know. It's a really good company to work for. One of the top in the area

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
Any truth to the rumors of storage related jobs being obsolete in the future? I've been working with SAN storage for the last year at my latest gig

Interesting note on this...When my co worker went off site to do our tape auditing, the iron mountain rep told him they lost 30% of their business to cloud storage last year.

Last edited:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
One of my recruiters:whew:

Might have to take her out for some coffee

giphy.gif

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Interesting note on this...When my co worker went off site to do our tape auditing, the iron mountain rep told him they lost 30% of their business to cloud storage last year.
This is what I've read and heard from folks in the industry but everyone here insists it's not the case :yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
MD
Going to my school career fair today, hopefully some potential job opportunities come from this.