IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
But dont forget ..you were in Atlanta...im in NY...i dont have the sources and means to go down there now...

I was in Ohio when I got my first gig. But regardless of where you live, take a pay cut to get your first job if necessary even if it means you gotta get a second job to make ends meet.

I've taken multiple pay cuts over my career to get me where im at right now. Don't think small time breh. Whatever money the post office is paying is peanuts compared to what you could be making with your career.

Don't trade in $15-20/hr now for $120/hr in a few years.

Spin

All Star
Daps
But dont forget ..you were in Atlanta...im in NY...i dont have the sources and means to go down there now...

Do you have your own spot or live with roommates/family? If the NYC gigs pay too low, you might consider NJ ones. The travel is a bytch on some of those, but they're always hiring because no one wants to go out there.

Unless you have a great living arrangement in NYC you might be better off moving to Jersey until you have some time on the job and can command a higher salary back in the city.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was in Ohio when I got my first gig. But regardless of where you live, take a pay cut to get your first job if necessary even if it means you gotta get a second job to make ends meet.

I've taken multiple pay cuts over my career to get me where im at right now. Don't think small time breh. Whatever money the post office is paying is peanuts compared to what you could be making with your career.

Don't trade in $15-20/hr now for $120/hr in a few years.

I hope you under my predicament though. I just would have to see if there are other examples of people going from $12 an hour to 20 plus in that position besides yourself.

Sorry to be hardheaded its just weighing on my mind. However what i have been thinking about is maybe i should go ahead with the A plus now since there is no given the post office will hire me right this second...

About how much did you make a month with the help desk from when you first started vs 9 months later? How big a difference?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I hope you under my predicament though. I just would have to see if there are other examples of people going from $12 an hour to 20 plus in that position besides yourself.

Breh I don't need to understand your predicament. You're just being extremely short sighted. You're willing to exchange a career that can easily make you 5 figures a month for a little bullshyt post office job because you don't want to make a temporary sacrifice.

Sorry to be hardheaded its just weighing on my mind. However what i have been thinking about is maybe i should go ahead with the A plus now since there is no given the post office will hire me right this second...

You've been in this thread for how long and you haven't even got your A+ yet? No offense breh but it seems like you just want to struggle. I've laid the blueprint out for y'all nikkas for the last 4 years and been posting nothing but receipts and you haven't taken any action.

About how much did you make a month with the help desk from when you first started vs 9 months later? How big a difference?

When I first started I was making $8.98/hr. I was broke as shyt living in a room I had rented that was roach infested. I was so broke the only thing I could afford to eat was ramen noodles and canned ravioli (people at my job would even make fun of me because of it). I did that for 9 months while working full time, going to school full time at night, and studying for my certs on the side in whatever little free time to I had (I had my A+, CCNA, and MCP before I got that first job).

9 months later I got promoted and was making 20/hr. About 18 months later I was making $30/hr. Fast forward 7 years and I'm making $120/hr with just a high school diploma and a fukked up hairline :manny:. And during those 10 years I took 3 years off to travel, fukk fat bytches, and play Xbox :wow:

Like I said, you hustling backwards and you're being extremely short sited, but it's your life to live :ehh:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
:whew: I fell off after like 2 weeks of studying but after reading this last page im bout to get back on it today!

Reading some of the replies in this thread about nikkas slacking legit be having me like :dwillhuh:

It's like y'all don't understand with just a few years of studying you can easily be in the top 5% of income earners in the country :mindblown:

Now I know how Pastor Manning felt :damn:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
To the cats looking for remote jobs, check out flex jobs.com.

Also for nikkas that are confident in their technical skills make an account on elance and offer your services. They have nice little gigs on there where you can make some passive income doing tech shyt on the side.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Not at all, I've actually got recruiters blowing my phone up on the weekly with opportunities that they want me to pursue:jawalrus:

But I'm good where I'm at for now. I spent the first 5 years after college working at a cushy Helpdesk then last fall started a new job which supports a specific application but I also get the chance to help out with Cisco UCS hardware, VMware, SAN technologies and SQL. Currently, I'm not quite at 6 figures but I understand that typical sys admin jobs (while the job security is good) the salary maxes out right under 100k. What I'm trying to achieve is doing something more specialized like either security (which would command a pay of $125k senior level, or DBA which pays around $110). Specialized route seems like less stress and less work because you're paid for what you know.

That's what I've been telling cats from day one. Specialize in whatever area of IT you enjoy and just be the top dude in your field. People will literally be chasing you down to throw 6 figure jobs at you.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Guys I am a beginner, so what should I study first. I pick up computer related information pretty quick though.

What cert can get me a job straight away that is in high demand?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
About 5-6 months. I had originally took all my stuff down to stop recruiters, but was still getting emails.

So i just figured i'd ammuse them and they started tossing out crazy numbers
:whew:

Breh, you don't even realize it but you're maybe 1-2 steps behind me at this point :blessed:. Once you get to the point where recruiters are starting to stalk you is when you get the upper hand.

Try this as a test: from now on start getting real disrespectful with the amount of money you ask for. I was making $35/hr and started telling recruiters my rate instead of asking them what their rate was. This was before my CISSP and CCNP. I got to the point where recruiters were saying "Yes, $70/hr is fine."

I damn near had a heart attack :damn: :dead:

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Reading some of the replies in this thread about nikkas slacking legit be having me like :dwillhuh:

It's like y'all don't understand with just a few years of studying you can easily be in the top 5% of income earners in the country :mindblown:

Now I know how Pastor Manning felt :damn:e

:laff: :francis: you right Breh that's why when I know I'm slipping or check this thread I :snoop: myself.

semtex

:)
Daps
Adding some devOps skills to my repertoire. Learning docker. Ain't an easy thing to make it play nice with Windows tho. :scust:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Breh, you don't even realize it but you're maybe 1-2 steps behind me at this point :blessed:. Once you get to the point where recruiters are starting to stalk you is when you get the upper hand.

Try this as a test: from now on start getting real disrespectful with the amount of money you ask for. I was making $35/hr and started telling recruiters my rate instead of asking them what their rate was. This was before my CISSP and CCNP. I got to the point where recruiters were saying "Yes, $70/hr is fine."

I damn near had a heart attack :damn: :dead:
:russ: aight ima keep you posted

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Guys I am a beginner, so what should I study first. I pick up computer related information pretty quick though.

What cert can get me a job straight away that is in high demand?

Been mostly advised here to start up with A+. If you are fairly decent with computers it shouldn't be hard to pick that one up. From there get you a help desk gig and study for your next cert.