IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Just put in a training request to take the SANS SEC401 boot camp($5,879). Hopefully my job approves it.

Honesty breh I really wouldn't recommend that cert. If you're gonna have them pay for training get something that will really boost your career. The 401 covers the same content as the CISSP/Security+ (minus the section on Linux/Windows) and is pretty entry level.

If you want to get a SANS cert go on dice and look at the Sr. Security related positions and see which SANS certs are in demand.

Personally I'd recommend any of the PEN Testing ones. PEN Testers are always in demand and make bank. 2-3 years of PEN Testing experience and these jobs will literally start flying you around the planet throwing money at you. If you gonna have them drop 5k, go for the gusto and make them break bread for real for real :wow:

Here's the link for all their security courses:

SANS Institute

Daps
Reppin
MD
Honesty breh I really wouldn't recommend that cert. If you're gonna have them pay for training get something that will really boost your career. The 401 covers the same content as the CISSP/Security+ (minus the section on Linux/Windows) and is pretty entry level.

If you want to get a SANS cert go on dice and look at the Sr. Security related positions and see which SANS certs are in demand.

Personally I'd recommend any of the PEN Testing ones. PEN Testers are always in demand and make bank. 2-3 years of PEN Testing experience and these jobs will literally start flying you around the planet throwing money at you. If you gonna have them drop 5k, go for the gusto and make them break bread for real for real :wow:

Here's the link for all their security courses:

SANS Institute
Good looks on that insight. I just changed my request to the SANS SEC504 boot camp since I already have my Security+. Now, I just have to brush up on my networking skills since they are a little rusty.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Good looks on that insight. I just changed my request to the SANS SEC504 boot camp since I already have my Security+. Now, I just have to brush up on my networking skills since they are a little rusty.

I looked through the 504 and that's a good intro course for understanding the various vulnerabilities and the types of exploits that are out there.

Always remember if you get your job to pay for training, go for training that will make you the most money.

Also understand if you're going to get into the PEN testing game, you're gonna have to learn how to do some coding and start to get very comfortable with Linux, so if you're not trying to learn python/php/sql/etc it might not be for you.

And yeah you'll have to brush up on your networking because that's a big part of it.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

Also once you hit the 5 year mark, throw your Sec+ in the bushes and get your CISSP. It'll open up mad doors for you. Plus it's typically a requirement for any mid/senior level security roles.

It shouldn't be too difficult since it covers pretty much the exact same shyt the Security+ does.

Daps
Reppin
MD
I looked through the 504 and that's a good intro course for understanding the various vulnerabilities and the types of exploits that are out there.

Always remember if you get your job to pay for training, go for training that will make you the most money.

Also understand if you're going to get into the PEN testing game, you're gonna have to learn how to do some coding and start to get very comfortable with Linux, so if you're not trying to learn python/php/sql/etc it might not be for you.

And yeah you'll have to brush up on your networking because that's a big part of it.

Good looks, you stay dropping Gems in this thread.

I'm leaning towards Incident Response and Pen Testing side of security since the federal side of my company is trying to create a small team of security professionals dedicated to that specific task.

I already know PHP and SQL from past jobs and project, but my goal is to learn Python by the end of this year.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Good looks, you stay dropping Gems in this thread.

I'm leaning towards Incident Response and Pen Testing side of security since the federal side of my company is trying to create a small team of security professionals dedicated to that specific task.

I already know PHP and SQL from past jobs and project, but my goal is to learn Python by the end of this year.

That's wassup, your PHP/SQL knowledge will def be useful. Also don't limit yourself to whatever company you work for. I don't know how much they're paying you but understand if you have 3-5 years of strong PEN testing experience, you can easily make $80/hr and $100/hr+ is very much possible. Plus there are a lot of remote pen testing gigs out there so you can you double up and be making bout 3-400k/yr (20k/mo after taxes :wow:).

You should never show loyalty to these companies. Get what you can out of them then shake them once something better comes along. You gotta remember that you have a skill that most people in your field do not have and companies are desperate for strong security folks. Everytime a company gets compromised or hacked, our pay rate rises :blessed:

Me knowing Powershell and PKI is how I've been able to eat so well (it's one of the reasons I got my remote gig).

Always remember to look out for your own best interest because they're damn sure not looking out for yours :ufdup:

CISSP not as hard as i once thought it was.

My scripting skills are nonexistant tho.

Yeah the CISSP was ridiculously easy. I thought it was gonna be some super hard exam but I pretty much breezed through it. I have no clue why having it earns you so much money, but I ain't complaining :whew:

Last edited:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Anyone know how the IT market is in Dallas Texas ?

I'm in Tennessee and I can't get shyt anymore, I think it's over populated with hardware IT people/ none programmers.

Just make a profile on Dice/Monster/etc and pick a random address in Dallas and see what jobs come in. When I decided to move to Atlanta I just changed my address on my job profile to 344 Main Street Atlanta, GA 30303. 7 days later I had an interview and I had my crib packed and on my way to GA in under 30 days.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Its been a while since i been in here. Never attempted to the A plus like i said.

I took the 473 exam for the post office on the 28th last month. Passed and im on a waiting list. Apply to positions im eligible for whenever i see a posting.

Obviously any full time job would be monday through saturday.

I just wish it was possible to work a help desk job only on sunday but i have no chance of that ever happening :to:

Im trapped :sadbron:

Because starting salary of help desk would be about $12 which would be less than the post office...so im at a conflict

Dont know what im gonna do

nikka you better throw that post office job in the bushes. My first help desk gig was $9/hr and within 9 months I was making $20/hr. Take a pay cut on your first gig if you have to just to get your foot in the door. Because once you're in, you're in and the amount of paper you can make is pretty much up to you.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just make a profile on Dice/Monster/etc and pick a random address in Dallas and see what jobs come in. When I decided to move to Atlanta I just changed my address on my job profile to 344 Main Street Atlanta, GA 30303. 7 days later I had an interview and I had my crib packed and on my way to GA in under 30 days.

Will do
tumblr_na4qmz0tnR1tvlsaeo1_500.gif

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
nikka you better throw that post office job in the bushes. My first help desk gig was $9/hr and within 9 months I was making $20/hr. Take a pay cut on your first gig if you have to just to get your foot in the door. Because once you're in, you're in and the amount of paper you can make is pretty much up to you.

But dont forget ..you were in Atlanta...im in NY...i dont have the sources and means to go down there now...