IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
CISSP not as hard as i once thought it was.

My scripting skills are nonexistant tho.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
What are you guys thoughts on Contract 2 Hire? I hear companies use it to just get you in and just keep extending the contract opposed to full time offer, or even get you in the door to knock out some short term work, and then don't renew.

Anyone have experience with this? I know they say its for companies to be able to "try you out" but still.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
What are you guys thoughts on Contract 2 Hire? I hear companies use it to just get you in and just keep extending the contract opposed to full time offer, or even get you in the door to knock out some short term work, and then don't renew.

Anyone have experience with this? I know they say its for companies to be able to "try you out" but still.

i took on a contract to hire job as my first IT job and they only renewed it even tho i was handling business there. my friend who's a programmer went through the same thing. they renewed her contract every 6 month for the 3 years she was working for the company. i'm avoiding contract to hire for now. maybe when i get to a higher level and can handle big projects then contract 2 hire will be an option.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
how did you guys start off with NO EXPERIENCE in IT? Did you load up on certifications and skills and how did you list your job history? The resume formats I have is more for experienced workers and I need something more newbie friendly.

Worked the crap desk aka Help Desk, then lateral moves in the dept while in college, then upon graduation, my resume at least got interviews and my eventual start in the industry.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
i have my ccent but feel like i'll never use this shyt...especially since the company i just joined uses cisco meraki which is easy and nice to manage. thinking of dropping the ccna and just focus on finishing my mcsa and pick up a language but i dont know what i'll benefit from the most:jbhmm: i was set on doing network security but feel like i should go with servers since i work with them more and have more knowledge.

i was set on doing network security but feel like i should go with servers since i work with them more and have more knowledge. trying to still figure out a career path 5-6 years deep in IT is frustrating:beli:

Any of you guys ever take Lateral Moves to gain technical experience?

yup. my 2nd job was at a school and it wasn't what i expected (did basic break fix, printing issues and resetting passwords and creating accounts in AD) so i went to a big medical company that had 18 sites and more advanced technology. the pay was the same but the workload and responsibilities was more so i really benefited from it. i left the school after 1 year and the medical company after 2. i couldn't take making 17$/hr for 3 years :scust:

Daps
Reppin
MD
i have my ccent but feel like i'll never use this shyt...especially since the company i just joined uses cisco meraki which is easy and nice to manage. thinking of dropping the ccna and just focus on finishing my mcsa and pick up a language but i dont know what i'll benefit from the most:jbhmm: i was set on doing network security but feel like i should go with servers since i work with them more and have more knowledge.

i was set on doing network security but feel like i should go with servers since i work with them more and have more knowledge. trying to still figure out a career path 5-6 years deep in IT is frustrating:beli:

yup. my 2nd job was at a school and it wasn't what i expected (did basic break fix, printing issues and resetting passwords and creating accounts in AD) so i went to a big medical company that had 18 sites and more advanced technology. the pay was the same but the workload and responsibilities was more so i really benefited from it. i left the school after 1 year and the medical company after 2. i couldn't take making 17$/hr for 3 years :scust:

You have to make that move to the DC area to put those network skills to use. Endless jobs in network and servers.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
You have to make that move to the DC area to put those network skills to use. Endless jobs in network and servers.
Is DC really the move? Word to Rico? :whoo:

rico-camron-harlem-cam-ron-paid-in-full-jim-jones-juelz-santana-hmTKTe-quote.gif