IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

lightskin jermaine

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Antonio
i'm a MIS senior and want to start studying for my 1st cert soon. i was going to start with the A+ but a close friend of mine said I should start with Security + instead. thoughts?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I wish you would state which certs are best for someone with a degree
Thats because certs aint that important.

Experience -> Degree -> Certs

In that order when it comes to importance.

Also depends on what your trying to do. A PM doesnt need certs meanwhile certs cluld he beneficial to a system admin.

ottorocket

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Hawaii
Just passed the 802 portion of the A+ :whew:. Finally got the cert.

After reading through this thread it seems CCNA or Microsoft cert is the way to go. Anyone with recommendations for someone with no previous IT experience on which one to go after? I know they're updating the CCNA soon. I'm currently already employed full time.

I just want to stay in my current study mode and not slack. Took too damn long to get into this groove.
Are you skipping the Network+?

HabitualLineSteppa

....Fuh Q.
Daps
A+ and Sec+

I'm working on the CCNA now
Dope! :salute:

What material did you use if you don't mind me asking breh...I'm taking the 801 and 802 before June 30 but I'm already looking ahead. I currently use the Messer vids on YouTube but frankly, it gets drab from time to time...

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Thats because certs aint that important.

Experience -> Degree -> Certs

In that order when it comes to importance.

Also depends on what your trying to do. A PM doesnt need certs meanwhile certs cluld he beneficial to a system admin.

Gotta slightly disagree breh. It depends on the position. For network engineering, certifications > degree. For example the CCNP/CCIE is required for a lot of networking engineering positions. The Security + is required for a lot government positions. A degree is the icing on the cake. In interviews, certifications are always brought up. If you don't have the right ones you may not even be considered for a lot of jobs. With that said, good experience trumps all.

I say this as someone who has been on both sides of the interview table and has worked with public and private sector.

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
Dope! :salute:

What material did you use if you don't mind me asking breh...I'm taking the 801 and 802 before June 30 but I'm already looking ahead. I currently use the Messer vids on YouTube but frankly, it gets drab from time to time...
In addition to Messer, I read the Mike Meyers A+ book. Sometimes he gave a little too much information on some subjects, but he covers the exam objectives pretty well. For the Sec+ my main resource was the Darrill Gibson book. He hits the objectives and the book comes with good practice questions. I also used the Comptia Certmaster bundle since that came with an exam/retake voucher. The questions on the certmaster are really similar to what you would see on the exam.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Gotta slightly disagree breh. It depends on the position. For network engineering, certifications > degree. For example the CCNP/CCIE is required for a lot of networking engineering positions. The Security + is required for a lot government positions. A degree is the icing on the cake. In interviews, certifications are always brought up. If you don't have the right ones you may not even be considered for a lot of jobs. With that said, good experience trumps all.

I say this as someone who has been on both sides of the interview table and has worked with public and private sector.

Im going on 5 yrs in the industry and have never been asked about a cert. Like i said it depends on what you want to do. A+ is worthless if you have a degree, CCNP is worthless to a developer or BA. IT is more than networking and info sec.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Im going on 5 yrs in the industry and have never been asked about a cert. Like i said it depends on what you want to do. A+ is worthless if you have a degree, CCNP is worthless to a developer or BA. IT is more than networking and info sec.

Like I said it depends on your role. You are right certifications are of little use to a developer or manager, but can be vital for an engineer. I also agree that IT is more than networking and security, but for those interested in those areas certifications can be very important for gaining employment and progressing in their career. This is one of the reasons why I sometimes hate the general term IT. There are various jobs within IT that are very different and require completely different criteria and skill sets. Truthfully this thread should probably be divided into separate threads covering either IT infrastructure, Development (I think they already have their own thread) and the business/analytical/management side.