IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
i went to high school with her:whew:

Please tell me you did thecoli justice
zZ9bqQu.gif

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I'm way too poor to afford it. And if I go I'll just have lots of debt.

So I need career advise for post highschool. :/

trade school + High level Certifications
Like the others said start with A+

Start with temp services as a repair tech for the free training ,,, I was trained and certified on apple laptops when I first started...

Spin

All Star
Daps
Just passed the 802 portion of the A+ :whew:. Finally got the cert.

After reading through this thread it seems CCNA or Microsoft cert is the way to go. Anyone with recommendations for someone with no previous IT experience on which one to go after? I know they're updating the CCNA soon. I'm currently already employed full time.

I just want to stay in my current study mode and not slack. Took too damn long to get into this groove.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Just passed the 802 portion of the A+ :whew:. Finally got the cert.

After reading through this thread it seems CCNA or Microsoft cert is the way to go. Anyone with recommendations for someone with no previous IT experience on which one to go after? I know they're updating the CCNA soon. I'm currently already employed full time.

I just want to stay in my current study mode and not slack. Took too damn long to get into this groove.
What exactly do you want to do? Get certs that tie with what you want to do and not just on what random people say. If you got a bunch of certs that arent related you wasting your money.

Spin

All Star
Daps
What exactly do you want to do? Get certs that tie with what you want to do and not just on what random people say. If you got a bunch of certs that arent related you wasting your money.

I probably know more about what I don't want to do at this point which is tech support. I'm ok starting in help desk, but want to move beyond and not even get tempted to get comfortable. I used to build computers when I was younger, but got away from it when I went to college. My background is in marketing so I don't know if there is some aspect of IT that would tie in with marketing besides sales.

The two areas that interest me the most from the outside looking in is Cloud and Security. I took a free AWS one day class at Amazon and enjoyed it. In that sense, I think the CCNA would be worth it just to get routing and switching down. Security interests me as well, but haven't had any hands on experience obviously. I think my ultimate end goal is to start my own IT consulting company. That definitely will be down the line though.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Is it possible that I could do that stuff too?

Man you can do anything you put your mind too, but you also most realize in some parts of IT you just randomly fall into job experience/path,,,, My key point was I had a job configuring servers , so when I applied for a computer operator position , the manager wanted a somebody with more skills and I went up from there,,, I would say I Randomly fell into my path .

I hate talking to end users so that's why I like data center lol

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I probably know more about what I don't want to do at this point which is tech support. I'm ok starting in help desk, but want to move beyond and not even get tempted to get comfortable. I used to build computers when I was younger, but got away from it when I went to college. My background is in marketing so I don't know if there is some aspect of IT that would tie in with marketing besides sales.

The two areas that interest me the most from the outside looking in is Cloud and Security. I took a free AWS one day class at Amazon and enjoyed it. In that sense, I think the CCNA would be worth it just to get routing and switching down. Security interests me as well, but haven't had any hands on experience obviously. I think my ultimate end goal is to start my own IT consulting company. That definitely will be down the line though.

you could Tie your Marketing background in and probably look at getting into Pre Sales Systems Engineering/Solution Engineering. Companies like EMC have programs where they develop you into the role but you still would need to get some experience doing System Admin type stuff. I`d say thug it out in Tech support for 2-3 yrs then work towards being a System Admin in yrs 4-6 then after that try to be come a Systems Engineer, you dont have to do Pre Sales but like I said you could leverage your Marketing background as most Techies dont know much about the business side of things and being profitable.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Just got a remote gig, assuming my piss come back clean I'll be at 12k/mo after taxes, new personal high :ehh:

I have another remote gig I'm trying to get as well, if I get that one I'd probably be close to 20k/mo.

I'm still feeling some type of way about it because I really don't wanna work for anyone any longer :francis:

Every spare penny I get is going right into my business. I want to be able to work for myself 100% by the end of 2016. If I'm still "employed" by 2017 I'm gonna be ashamed of myself :snoop: