IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
can you guys tell me what skills I should put on my resume for a level 1 support IT job on campus?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
can you guys tell me what skills I should put on my resume for a level 1 support IT job on campus?

Need to have hardware knowledge obviously, though we are in the world of the cloud. Problem solving. I would add in some networking knowledge if possible (TCP/IP stack and OSI model are NEEDED....I think mostly you 'd be dealing with Layer 4 - Layer 7 (Transport - Presentation layers) of the OSI model).

What sort of tech role is in? I look at roles online and essentially model my experience around the role. I recall an old mentor of mine telling me that he has made different versions of resumes for similar jobs.

Name your price for these top-rated tech training bundles

are any of these bundles worth it? mainly the learn to code and the java one?

Not sure how I feel about the "anyone can learn to code" things. I think we are going to run into people that instead of understanding how to problem solve and use engineering fundamentals to design a code we will have motherfukkers just hacking up code lol.

I'm not a programmer myself tbh...I'm a SRE (Site Reliability Engineer) and we have to apply engineering concepts to perform tasks. I know some Python and also attempting to learn Go to broaden my skillset actually.

I think courses are great to learn Python but I feel some of these unaccredited places are a bit sketchy and selling false hopes of making six figures instantly out of the bootcamp. It takes a certain mindset and methodology to learn how to code effectively and get those lucrative salaries. I have a mix of books and videos though regarding program. Whatever works for your style of learning!

How much clout do yall give Glassdoor reviews? I know often times typically only unsatisfied people are the ones who leave reviews but then you have other companies where the reviews line up with stuff you see on tv/media.

I was selected for a first round phone screen with a company with a big/good name but i cant find too much on glassdoor regarding reviews of the role.

I always use Glassdoor.

Also those who need 'Test Labs' for work just get a cloud server on the cheap. Or just get a powerful ass laptop and install Docker, Vagrant, VirtualBox, etc etc.

Last edited:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Since I'm on a quest to improve my technical knowledge, I've been doing a lot of digital cleanup and organizing some of my bookmarks. I'm also consolidating some of the bookmarks I have with subjects interesting to me. So you may see me dump some stuff in this thread and other technical threads. Here's some stuff related to Linux Internals that are quite interesting. Don't know any of you interviewing for Google, Facebook, or Dropbox anytime soon. :jbhmm: But I'll do what I can do to help! A few things on Linux Internals.

“Linux” Isn’t Just Linux: 8 Pieces of Software That Make Up Linux Systems

Linux process states — Idea of the day

The precise meaning of I/O wait time in Linux

Intro to Inodes

How does the Linux boot process work? - Quora

What is the difference between a process and a thread? - Quora

Life After Coffee » UNIX Load Averages Explained

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Added a book to my arsenal per recommendation. My former colleague let me fiddle through it too.

51cLnE8Ki9L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Are you having trouble finding a job with your MIS degree? What types of jobs have you held with your degree If you don't mind me asking?
i got my MBA in MIS..currently in Business Analyst/Management..the job i have is pretty high profile...shyt now i get job offers all the time in my email lol

eufemism

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#uglygang
@patscorpio

:ohhh: Did you have to get a Masters to get a job or did you get it just to advance your career?

Also if you don't mind me asking what kinda money are you making and in what city? I live in Michigan so I don't expect too much of a crazy salary.:lupe:

Also how easy would it be to transition to a Project Manager role from a business analyst? PMs with experience seem to make good money and the job seems interesting in general

Last edited:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
@bdizzle @Mainevent_7

Any good sites or software i can use for hands on/interactive practical security practicing? Hacking, penetrating, detecting, etc.

While my security knowledge is rusty as hell. You can always setup a Linux box and try to exploit it.

Play around with nmap and Nessus( haven't used this tool in almost a decade, but still see its popular ). There's also Linux distributions dedicated to this. Can't remeber the name of it though.. Lol

All Star
Daps
My bad if it's in here, but are there any dumbed down articles or videos on how to subnet?

And any recommendations for a good Net+ source? I'm going through Prof. Messer for my notes but it's too dry for me.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Cryptography section, boring ass instructor ain't making it no better

stephen-a-smith-gif.gif