Israel to pass Trump-like travel ban; WH reports that @88m3 seen dancing in Liberty State Park

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Israel passes a travel ban targeting boycott supporters

Proposed Israel travel ban moves forward, draws comparisons to Trump's

If the law takes effect, it would set up a “blacklist” in border inspection computers, and anyone appearing on it would be stopped at Ben Gurion Airport. It read: "No visa and residency permit of any type will be given to a person who is not an Israeli citizen or does not have a permit for permanent residency in the State of Israel if he, [or] the organization or entity for which he works, has knowingly issued a public call to impose a boycott on the State of Israel, as defined in the Preventing Harm to the State of Israel through Boycott Law, 5771-2011, or has committed to participate in such a boycott."

The legislation passed its third and final reading in the Knesset on Monday, with 46 lawmakers voting in favor and 28 opposing it.

Roy Folkman, who sponsored the bill, said the legislation was necessary in order to protect Israel’s "name and honor." (:scusthov::mjlol:) Bezalel Smotrich, who helped spearhead the bill, said it showed that Israel "won’t turn the other cheek" and that it was a "natural" step for any country to take.

While it has received a wide support in the right wing of the Israeli political arena, it drew strong criticism both within Israel and abroad.

Former justice and foreign minister Tzipi Livini called the law a "foolish move which harms Israel and strengthens the boycotters." She added that the law will not deter Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) activists, since whoever wants to boycott Israel could continue to do so from outside of the country.

Israel’s parliament has passed into law a controversial travel ban to keep out people who support boycotts of the country or the Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank.

The legislation, which was backed by the ruling right-wing coalition, passed Monday by a vote of 48-26. It allows the government to block entry of non-residents who publicly call for a boycott or are associated with companies, advocacy groups or other organizations that do so.

The legislation defines a boycott to include all calls against Israel, its government, products, or settlements in territories under Israeli military control. The law gives Israel’s interior minister the authority to make exemptions in special circumstances.

It describes boycott efforts as a “new front of war against Israel.” In recent years, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other Israeli officials have portrayed the pro-Palestinian movement known as Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions as an anti-Semitic effort to isolate the country economically.

One of the law’s sponsors, parliament member David Amsalem of the ruling Likud Party, described the legislation as “basic.”

“I’m not allowing anyone who humiliates me to come into my house,” he told the parliament. “We aren’t against legitimate criticism, but there’s no connection between that and to call for a boycott on the state of Israel, which is crossing a red line.’’

Opponents of the law warned that it would put Israel at loggerheads with international groups opposed to the Jewish settlements in the West Bank.

“Who doesn’t call for a boycott of settlements today?’’ (:sas1::sas1::sas1:) said Dov Khenin, a lawmaker from the predominantly Arab Joint List coalition. “Look at the United Nations, the European Union, and what’s going on in the international community: Do you want to boycott all of them and prevent them from entering Israel?”

Human Rights Watch complained that a U.S. researcher was denied a work permit. :ehh:

so when america does it, it's because trump and the rest of the country is racist. does the same standard apply here :patrice:

after all, they're our closest ally in the region :ehh:

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
Didn't realize theres a race of boycotters.

They should have full control over who can enter their country just like we should have with ours.

I don't think I would personally enact this law though. Id just reject the boycotters when they tried to get in...but if they're boycotting then why do they even want to go to Israel?

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
who wants to go there anyway? i know america would never end up on the list, but even if it did israel is on the list of countries i have no interest in visiting.

Techniec

Drugs and Kalashnikovs
Daps
Reppin
W/S 416
The target of this law presumably is not European or American activists or researchers but Palestinians who engage in anything resembling support of BDS

The Israeli state needs only the slightest excuse to fukk with their paperwork

One less arab

Black Cher

All Star
Daps
Israel has always been on some bull when it comes to flying into their airport. There are hundreds of articles online about how they search your car before you enter the parking garage and question you about you religion, and if your Jewish you have to prove it by giving the name of your synagogue and your rabbi.