Is This True About Carribean Names?

Nabs

Superstar
Daps
top comment

"My brothers name Lincoln, immediate family call him Steve, church and school call him Barry, friends call him Jay. Was 20yr old when I learnt his full name went to see I'm in hospital. Me and sis looking for Steve only to see our mom in a room with someone called Lincoln. I'm still blown away by this"

:mjlol:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Not quite as bad, but on the same path. My mom has been going by a certain name all her life. Sometimes I'll see her put her middle name, or sometimes my family will call her Aunty 'middle name'. I found out just after my 35th birthday, that her "middle name" is her first name and the name she normally goes by is her middle name.
- Trinidad

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
Can’t relate
full

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
Yeah this is true.

Uncle named Richard everyone calls him Bobba.

You call him Richard/Rich/Richie he's not gonna know you're talking to him.

Same thing with my father. I go back to his island and say I'm Lyal's son, they're gonna be like :patrice: :why::camby:

But if I say I'm Slejdah's boy they're :blessed::ohhh::obama:

Weird cultural thing.

Tbh I think it comes from the Irish/Scottish melding of the past.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
:yeshrug:

True to some extent. You liable to get a nickname or something and hold onto that rather than know a person's actual name. Even if you do learn it, short of a formal situation, you just rock with the alternative, similar to what Hindu guyanese folk do with their actual name and their 'english' versions.

Lots of older folks do this, though. My Gramp's first name, I didn't find out until I was looking through his goddamned funeral booklet.
:mjcry:...........................................:mjlol:

Last edited: