Is there anyway for College football conference alignment like this to work?

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
viewerf.png

alright so i'm killing time until I go out later, and have been doing this all morning.

I found a way to split all FBS teams with a very small selection excluded by both region, rivalry, and conference legacy as good as I think anyone can.

The end result is 5 22 team conferences.

The reason I did that is because team X would have 10 games in division, have 2 others they can schedule as pleased.

Example

Michigan's schedule would be [in a logical scheduling]

[team out of conference] (We'll say penn state or TN)
[team out of division] (we'll say Notre Dame)
Northwestern (IL)
Illinois
Wisconsin
Eastern Michigan
Cincinnati (OH)
Western Michigan
Michigan St.
Miami (OH)
Northern Illinois
Ohio St.

USC's would be something like:

[team out of conference] - Florida State
[team out of division] - BYU
Fresno St. (CA)
Stanford (CA)
San Diego St. (CA)
UNLV
Arizona
Arizona St.
UCLA
Hawaii
Nevada
California

So schedules across the FBS are fairly equal.

The only problem is the end game I wanted was a 4 or 8 team TOURNEMENT OF CHAMPIONS. so no matter WHAT to get in you are the champion of your conference, with no at large bullshyt.

is there anyway with byes or anything to get this done. And do you all like this format, at all?

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Btw, to address any obvious concerns:

The tiny schools grouped with the mega schools.

My theory is that 1. Most of the small schools i grouped together face one of those bigger schools reguarly anyway, but in a meaningless squash match. In this case a school like UAB would grow in terms of amenities and stadium size from conference tv revenue. They then could share with the rest of the conference as well. If the big ten regents, for example, could get notre dame money for research, i dont think they would be as bothered sharing with western michigan.

Clem

Get out my way, pimpin'.
Daps
Reppin
California
Define 'work'.

ACC seems waaay weaker than any of the others.

Also, how would they determine the 'best team in college football'?

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps
ACC looks like straight ass cheeks...

SC would dominate that shyt something serious....

Skilltastrophy

Mizzou Mafia
Daps
I still believe the best way for conference re-alignment to work is with four sixteen team conferences

the rest of those teams not in a conference are shyt out of luck...and who cares if they complain.

run it all the way back to the 1950s...in that time frame there hasn't been a single national champion from a CURRENT mid-major or small conference team (BYU is independent in football now)...and with TCU now in the Big 12 you have to go back to 1925 and Dartmouth to find a team not currently independent or in a major conference to win a title

if there are four 16-team conferences that gives us a pool of 64...I'm sure all of the teams with REALISTIC shots at a title will wind up in a major conference

that allows us to set up a de facto play-off system to solve things

you have four divisions within each conference...the division winners play two playoff games to decide a conference champion...the four conference champions play a four team playoff to decide a national champion...and bam problem solved

the only complaints come from teams that have never had a realistic shot to win a title anyways...those teams shouldn't be competing with the major conferences anyways...go look at the money and revenue differences and tell me why these teams play together on the same field...it's ludicrous

in the end...those teams not included in the 64 teams super conferences will BENEFIT by not having to compete and try and spend money with teams that generate so much more revenue...their schools won't have to hemorrhage money any longer...they can compete with schools on a more level playing field and gain a real chance to battle for a title...just not in that 64-team upper division

that's the best way to solve it in my opinion

Daps
Here's what's gonna happen: The Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC are gonna be the 4 major conferences. The Big East and ACC are gonna get raided over the next 5 years. Florida St, Louisville, Clemson and Notre Dame are Big 12 bound. Va Tech and Ga Tech are SEC bound. Rutgers, Boston College, Miami and Maryland to the Big 12. BYU and Boise St to the Pac 12. The remaining Big East and ACC teams will combine to make one big conference. Mid Major Conferences mainly stay the same.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
*scans for Ohio State and the corresponding joke*

*leaves thread disappointed*

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Here's what's gonna happen: The Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC are gonna be the 4 major conferences. The Big East and ACC are gonna get raided over the next 5 years. Florida St, Louisville, Clemson and Notre Dame are Big 12 bound. Va Tech and Ga Tech are SEC bound. Rutgers, Boston College, Miami and Maryland to the Big 12. BYU and Boise St to the Pac 12. The remaining Big East and ACC teams will combine to make one big conference. Mid Major Conferences mainly stay the same.

Notre Dame isn't joining any conference.... they gain nothing, and lose everything from doing that.

Skilltastrophy

Mizzou Mafia
Daps
Notre Dame isn't joining any conference.... they gain nothing, and lose everything from doing that.

not in a 16-team super conference scenario

if that route happens then teams would likely could eliminate non-conf. games and play 12 conf. games per season

Notre Dame would have no one left to play

Daps

They're not gonna have a choice financially. The TV money they see now is a bit better than what they would see joining a conference. But The TV money that the Tier one teams in a super conference would see would shyt all over what Notre Dame would see by themselves. Notre Dame will join a conference eventually, the only issue is, will it be Big 10 or Big 12.