Is there a need for Black Escapism in media?

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I stumbled upon this video which discusses Black Escapism in media:

and how some Black people want more media depicting Black people without it being about their suffering and without addressing racial issues.

People argue in the comments and the same sentiment transpires: less media about politics & social issues, more media with just Black people doing stuff.

Interestingly enough, the youtuber takes a contradicting stance and points out that there is much more so-called "apolitical" Black material than the other way around. He also says that everything is political anyway and people are wishy washy about their standards in that regard.

I can see both sides of the argument but I'm thinking: if you want a show about Black people doing stuff totally unrelated to them being Black, why does it matter if they're Black or not? Why do you need a Black-people-going-to-space-movie if you don't want them being Black having any significance in that same movie?

That's a question I'm asking to myself.

Thoughts?

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I can see both sides of the argument but I'm thinking: if you want a show about Black people doing stuff totally unrelated to them being Black, why does it matter if they're Black or not? Why do you need a Black-people-going-to-space-movie if you don't want them being Black having any significance in that same movie?

If someone equates "being Black" with "society constantly trying to traumatize Black people", then I can see why Black people just want media that doesn't show that.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
this guy needs to organize his thoughts before making a video. he seems like a smart guy but it was damn near useless.

as for my opinion...i think the only suitable answer is for there to be a large amount of content featuring black people so no single work is forced to do everything for all black people. there is no perfect media for white people either, but they have so much featuring them that most white people can find something they are looking for. it's unfair for millions of people to put all their hopes and dreams onto one content creator. we need variety, and that is only possible through quantity.

EDIT: i read the description on the YT video and it communicates his point much better than the actual video.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Social media and internet echo chambers provide escapism for some Black people. Go back and read the gender and country-of-origin "wars" across different platforms and sites.,You will read adults writing misguided and false views about their "enemies". Things that most rational half-intelligent adults would know are not true.

Last edited:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
this guy needs to organize his thoughts before making a video. he seems like a smart guy but it was damn near useless.

as for my opinion...i think the only suitable answer is for there to be a large amount of content featuring black people so no single work is forced to do everything for all black people. there is no perfect media for white people either, but they have so much featuring them that most white people can find something they are looking for. it's unfair for millions of people to put all their hopes and dreams onto one content creator. we need variety, and that is only possible through quantity.

EDIT: i read the description on the YT video and it communicates his point much better than the actual video.
Definitely agree, the video lacks focus and structure.

Agree with your point below as well.

• Dap
Reactions: NZA