Is there a name for Hip Hop with no drums and just sample loops playing? (Griselda, Earl sweatshirt, AnkhleJohn, etc.)

96Blue

Superstar
Daps
Those samples that play over and over again never get old to me for some reason and they're FIRE. Is there a name for it? I wouldn't call it boom bap because boom bap actually has drums in it.

AnkhleJohn - 40 Acres

Earl - Sentry

Boldy James - Designer Drugs

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
Drumless loops = sounds dope as is, splashed with a little being too lazy too finish

Its kinda been a thing for a while in underground way before marci imo.

I say jay electronica is who really brought eyes on it. ie eternal sunshine, that last track on his album with jay, the nas untitled intro, a bunch more etc thats because his beats are like demos unfinished. Mix that in with his traditional boombap shyt he did with just blaze is who really made it a thing. Imo anyway

But even he did not start it. Mad ug artists started popping this shyt in one beat at a time.

Then it became the sound of the ug when marci and then griselda helped to popularize it. They def did that but they didnt create the vibe. That first marci album is very drum heavy. The first griselda shyt has rza beats doing those things.

Jay elect roc marci and geiselda 100% got it from the rza/ghostface/rae/sunz of man tho and so did the rest along with the few others who delved into it pre 2000s. If holding on to the 90s was a sound and style, thats what drumless loops is.

But nunjabes, qtip, dj shadow, muggs, etc… im sure we can find it on all their stuff as well in intros and diff sections without rap. They just rap on it now.

My issue with it is a lotta guys straught just lazy and try to pass it off as an excuse. I like it but needs to be used correctly in an album way to slow shyt down or focus on lyrics. Every beat, na.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps

Pre marci - rza late 90s

Chino xl - late 90s - first beat

Someone mentioneed jay elec and hes probably responsibile for inspiring marciano if we looking at timelin
This was 2007

Marciano used this style on damn near every project since reloaded. Prior he was all drums

Last edited:

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
its a wutang thing passed to the underground

rza and ghost did it in the 90s

then killah priest in early 2000

shortly after roc marciano who is a big wutang fan made it a trend

roc mar said his style was heavily inspired by busta puttin him on a track wit raekwon and ghostface