Is there a difference between a Spitta, a Lyricist, and a Rapper?

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
This thread is derived from the "Who the best west coast lyricist u ever heard" thread http://www.the-coli.com/booth/24444-who-best-west-coast-lyricist-u-ever-heard.html .... when a poster said he liked Ice Cube, but didn't really consider him a lyricists???

Sure if you only know the top level of hip hop, you know there is an MC which encompasses a spitta, lyricist, rapper.......but for us aficionados is there a distinct difference......where does a freestyler fit in this group? would that be considered a spitta?

Do you place and judge rappers differently under each of those categories, do you judge them by the sub-genre of hip hop they represent, or do you just throw Lupe and Waka Flaka and Drake in the same pot??

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i feel like rappers/artists have the complete package. can make albums, etc

while spittas/emcees are nice on the mic/rip tracks, but cant make it translate into a credible career

ex.- a jay/nas/big vs like a big l/kiss/canibus

if u want to make a credible thread dont bring up the fakkitry that is rhyme king threads

CELL

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i feel like rappers/artists have the complete package. can make albums, etc

while spittas/emcees are nice on the mic/rip tracks, but cant make it translate into a credible career

ex.- a jay/nas/big vs like a big l/kiss/canibus

if u want to make a credible thread dont bring up the fakkitry that is rhyme king threads

This. Think of it like a triangle where each cat tries to find the center of each respective art form. You don't wanna be too lyrical to the point where your listeners just can't understand what angle you're coming from but you don't wanna sound retarded and be called out on being straight trash. shyt's all about finding a nice neutral point and each artist has their own lines that they draw. Kanye is an example of some one that's walked the line perfectly.

Habit

Banned
Daps
A lot has to do with substance, Canibus level of lyricist would be Rakim, Nas, & GZA and still be a rapper in the same vain as Jay-Z. Chuck D, Pac, and Ice Cube were on the other side of the spectrum

dre

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY/DC
Spittas just ramble on with technical precision
Lyricists have technical precision but have a focus for what they're saying
"Rappers" rely on charisma and wordplay IMO

I feel like when people think "rapper" they think it's just 16 punchlines these days

Daps
Reppin
NULL
There is no difference because they are mutually inclusive i.e. a rapper can be a spitta and a lyricist...

In my opinion, the word spitta has more to do with a rapper's delivery...I think rappers fall into a category of three basic deliveries...

1) Spittas 2) Barkers and 3) Flow-ers

1) Spittas are from the school of Rakim/G Rap...In my opinion, "spitttin" is a rat-tat-tat delivery great examples are rappers like early Nas, Prodigy, Killah Sin, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah...

That style and variations of that style is what I define as "spittas" e.g. Machine gun rap...to quote Raekown..

2) Barkers are from the school of Ice Cube/KRS One...These rappers have a "barking" in your face delivery...The likes of 2Pac, DMX...These rappers don't really flow or spit...Also, I have noticed that a lot of hip hop fans on the internet do not view these rappers as lyricists, because "barkers" tend to have a straight forward message for the audience...

3) Flow-ers are from the school of Big Daddy Kane and I would say Snoop Dogg (because so many West Coast artists were using his flows before the West fell off)...Flow-ers have a melodic delivery and a lot of swag...

Of course this is over-simplified, because there are so many variations and combinations of rappers' deliveries...

In any case, my opinion a rapper can be a spitta and a lyricist all at the same time, and therefore it doesn't make sense to make a distinction between rapper, spitta or lyricist...