Is the fifth season the kiss of death for black sitcoms?

invincible1914

G.O.M.A.B.
Daps
Reppin
LSU, Saints, Alcorn, VCU
I'm convinced of it now. I'm watching the last season of One on One and it's crazy how much they changed it. Should have just been a spin-off, but the executives wanted the show to be cool and sexy because it's based in Los Angeles. :scust:

It looks like a lot of black sitcoms end up dealing with bullshyt in the fifth season:

Martin - Universally recognized as falling off. Last season.

Living Single - T.C. Carson was fired so Kyle is gone for most of the season, Kim Fields left before the season was over, and Fox cancelled it after 13 episodes so it never got a proper series finale.

Wayans Bros - Cancelled after season five, no proper series finale.

Moesha - Show shifted from a coming of age sitcom to a cheap melodrama; introduced Dorian for the sake of destroying Frank's character

Fresh Prince - Arguably avoided this, but the ending of the finale undid all the work put into the season's main storyline, so it led to Will regressing as a character in season six

Sister, Sister - Change in tone after the fourth season, attempts to make the show more "grown" and "sexy," begins taking itself more seriously when the earlier seasons were cartoonishly goofy, and characters like Ray and especially Roger get featured less (@AquaCityBoy)

The Parkers - Series ends with Nikki leaving the man she's about to marry at the altar, when Professor Oglevee realizes he's in love with her (a rehash of a storyline they did in seasons two and three) and they get married instead; no buildup so it ends up being clichéd (@AquaCityBoy)

Any other examples? :francis:
So after 5 seasons most shows seem to have run their course it seems. Sounds about right too.

I think it’s the point where everybody knows it’s over, but you got a hit a certain number of shows to reach syndication and that residual income.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its Always Sunny just aired season 15 I think? It wasn’t terrible, but thats an example of a great white show that is much different than when it started.

Aren't their seasons real short?