Is the 21 year old restriction on drinking outdated?

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
In a country where you can legally take out a loan (student loan) that can possiably affect you for the rest of your life, where you can legally make credit decisions that can affect you for the rest of your life, where you can legally sign your life over to the military and where you can go to jail/prison with the big boys all at the age of 18 .......does it then make sense to then have an age restriction on the purchase of alcohol for these same people you deem as adults in other scenarios? If you think yes, by what logic?

Or, does the age restriction on the things i just mentioned need to be raised?

What are your thoughts on it?

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
the age restrictions on the other things need to be raised....its not like the age restriction stopping people from drinking before 21 anyways

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
In a country where you can legally take out a loan (student loan) that can possiably affect you for the rest of your life, where you can legally make credit decisions that can affect you for the rest of your life, where you can legally sign your life over to the military and where you can go to jail/prison with the big boys all at the age of 18 .......does it then make sense to then have an age restriction on the purchase of alcohol for these same people you deem as adults in other scenarios? If you think yes, by what logic?

Or, does the age restriction on the things i just mentioned need to be raised?

What are your thoughts on it?

From what I understand 21 is supposed to be the age when one reaches full driving maturity. Whatever that's supposed to mean, considering it's illegal to drink and drive anyways :manny:. And alot of other countries (well mostly those in Europe) have way better public transportation systems in that an 18 y.o could goto to a club/bar w/e drink and still catch public transit home while in America that's not necessarily the case.

the age restrictions on the other things need to be raised....its not like the age restriction stopping people from drinking before 21 anyways

The age restrictions on those other things prob do need to be raised. These laws are so inconsistent, cant even rent a car until your like 25 (insurance issue I suppose), some hotels wont let you check out rooms unless your 25, and I remember when I was 17 and it was my friends bday and we were trying to goto Dave and Busters and they would only let us if we were accompanied by an adult 25+ :dry:...:mindblown:

dallastexas

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
no,, pppl are dumbasses,,, especially when young,,,,, no need to make them even more stupid... . sit the fuk down til u are 21

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Id be down with lowering the drinking age if American drinking culture changed. Lot of motherfukkers go to college and become lifetime alcoholics. shyts disgusting. Out in Europe they drink earlier but they keep the shyt civilized. 1-2 glasses of wine at dinner. Americans can't enjoy shyt in moderation, they gotta go 0% or 100%. So the shyt doesn't really matter.

Plus enforcement is pretty lax. I remember going to Kmart and buying 24 packs of Bud Light freshman year. nikkas snuck a keg into the dorms in a 27" Zenith TV box (I graduated in 06 :flabbynsick: ). shyt was child's play man.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Like they not already drinking at 16 anyway. Should be 18 IMO. If you can go fight for the country you should be able to have a drink

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Id be down with lowering the drinking age if American drinking culture changed. Lot of motherfukkers go to college and become lifetime alcoholics. shyts disgusting. Out in Europe they drink earlier but they keep the shyt civilized. 1-2 glasses of wine at dinner. Americans can't enjoy shyt in moderation, they gotta go 0% or 100%. So the shyt doesn't really matter.

Plus enforcement is pretty lax. I remember going to Kmart and buying 24 packs of Bud Light freshman year. nikkas snuck a keg into the dorms in a 27" Zenith TV box (I graduated in 06 :flabbynsick: ). shyt was child's play man.

So people should do what you think is acceptable?

I gotcha.

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Like Gina said, the American drinking culture makes lowering the drinking age almost ethically impossible.

M617

retired
Supporter
Daps
i think its fine where it is. like others have said most people start drinking early anyway in highschool. booze is a serious substance i think even though most people dont follow the age rule it does help a little in keeping 18-19 year olds out of bars getting trashed and driving because it would happen alot more if the age was lower. i know when i was 19 i was dumb as hell and each year into your 20's you grow more.

if i was 19 at a bar i would have crashed a car i was wild back then

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
So people should do what you think is acceptable?

I gotcha.
No you fukk face

OP asked a question and I gave my take on it. Nobody has to do anything just because I have an opinion. Just like nobody has to ignore the fact that all your favorite artists are borderline homos and yes men

flusterose

dat dere chocolate
Daps
Reppin
Black Gay Capital

Like Gina said, the American drinking culture makes lowering the drinking age almost ethically impossible.

The drinking culture is because of the age. lower the age and it wont be such a big deal to drink and teenagers wont feel the need to break the law(drink before the legal age).

The Nigerian

The Realest Member of TheColi
Daps
Reppin
All The Way One Hunnid

Booze is the most dangerous drug and the most abused. American college drinking culture is horribly destructive.