Is Playstation VR worth a purchase for a Christmas present for 8 year old?

OH SOHH TRILL

Trill OG
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Screwston
My son wants one. I (we) already have an Xbox One and Switch. I’ve always been an Xbox guy. Is the VR worth getting a whole new system?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I wouldn't buy a PS4 just for VR, especially not for an 8 year old. You're talking about roughly $600 - $700 for everything you'll need if you can catch the sales still.
The VR games an 8 year old would enjoy are limited, also, there's no way for you to know whether or not the child will experience motion sickness before hand.
The retail price for PSVR is too much to gamble on. I would only recommend it if you already had a PS4 and were able to find it on sale.
My cousin got the Skyrim bundle for $250 during black friday, which at that price is a solid deal.

Last edited:

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
A but late to be asking that one, don't you think?
Before Back Friday, they had deals where you could've picked up the system and PSVR for less than $500 combined (without tax)

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
My son wants one. I (we) already have an Xbox One and Switch. I’ve always been an Xbox guy. Is the VR worth getting a whole new system?
Hell no, this tech isn't for kids yet. Might not be good for adults. In 5yrs Sony will deny the lawsuits yet again, every gen there's been a class action on these guys but whateva... Real talk, there isn't enough content in the VR space for an 8 yr old

OH SOHH TRILL

Trill OG
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Screwston
Cool, I was leaning no glad ya'll confirmed it. Does it change the analysis knowing that my son plays adult games? Destiny, COD, Halo, Skyrim, Zelda?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Cool, I was leaning no glad ya'll confirmed it. Does it change the analysis knowing that my son plays adult games? Destiny, COD, Halo, Skyrim, Zelda?
I own PSVR and have played it a very significant amount of time.
I love the experience it offers. It's unlike anything else available on consoles. You have to experience it first hand to truly understand it.
That said, to answer your initial question "Is the VR worth getting a whole new system?" my answer is a definite no.
We can talk about whether or not a PS4 is worth the money, but that's not what you asked, and that'll be highly subjective anyway.
IMO PS4 and PSVR are both great, but I can't recommend going out to buy a PS4 specifically for PSVR.