Is Playing 1on1 Defense in the NBA More Effort or Ability?

JBone4eva

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I think its a mixture of both, but I would put more onus on actual ability, probably like 60% ability/ 40% effort. Some people just have superior lateal movement/quickness/anticipation. The rest is all effort in my opinion.

for an example I look at Avery Bradley on my Celtics, who in my opinion is arguably the best 1 on 1 perimeter defender in the ligue. He obviously puts effort in, but his lateral movement, balance, and foot quickness, as well as his ability to hone in on his defender and make himself small thru screens is extraordinary, I think all of that is more ability than effort.

doug c

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
both. some people are just better at defense. but at the same time playing d, comes down alot to effort. u can get by if you go hard on defense even if you arent the best athlete

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
I say it's 50/50 because some people may not have the ability but have the determination and focus

And some people have the ability but lack the focus and determination like Amare and Melo

*Hulks Up*

got that new coli smell
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The D (where it's so cold)
both. some people are just better at defense. but at the same time playing d, comes down alot to effort. u can get by if you go hard on defense even if you arent the best athlete

C/S. I think it's more an effort thing than anything else. Chuck hayes is a great example, his post defense is great, he can keep more athletic people in front of him with just his footwork. Ability plays a great part in it too you need quick hands and feet, but I think at the NBA level the majority of players are on equal terms as far as ability so the edge would have to be the intangibles like i.q. and effort to make an impact.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
Avery Bradley Might be a top 5 perimeter defender

My top 5 is:

1) Andre Iguodala
2) Tony Allen
3) Ronnie Brewer
4) Rajon Rondo
5) Lebron/Avery Bradley

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Mixture of ability effort and bball iq

Terribleness

King on the Come up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WH
I think most players just don't develop or practice good defense before entering the NBA. Then they enter the league where it's the best players and athletes with great offense skill sets and they get exposed. So I say 70% ability n 30% effort.

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
if you want a nicca to just SHOOT u out the game, u can back up and keep dude from the cup.....That's that matador defense. I think it's 60 ability 40 effort. Some cats just cant stay in front of u if u're quick/strong

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
i don't see how a lot of dudes can't play 1 on 1 D. I think it's 80% effort 20% ability

nah, that ratio is way off

effort is important, but some guys have horrible defensive instincts/physical limitations so no matter how much effort they give, theyre gonna get torched

chuck hayes is a great defender because of his quick feet, good instincts and football strong base more so than his effort.

i think effort is most important when you're guarding someone who comes off screens all game long. if were talking about guarding an isolation player id rank effort after instincts, lateral quickness, strength of base and length

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
It's definitely more ability than effort. When I was younger, I used to lock cats DOWN! Sometimes I might need some motivation, but if I made my mind up, I wasn't letting you score. This was due to my extremely quick feet, hands and long arms. I remember some random cat saw me playing defense and made a comment along the lines of "that ain't something you can teach."

Flash forward to now, after multiple nagging injuries, despite the effort I give, I can't guard people nearly as affective as I used to.

Gil Scott-Heroin

āœŠšŸæ
Daps
Avery Bradley Might be a top 5 perimeter defender

My top 5 is:

1) Andre Iguodala
2) Tony Allen
3) Ronnie Brewer
4) Rajon Rondo
5) Lebron/Avery Bradley
:wtf:

in no way shape or form is rondo a better perimeter defender than bradley.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
Like all things NBA related, it depends on the player and the fans' perception and like/dislike of said player.

For example, Amare can't guard people because he's lazy and doesn't try hard. Steve Nash can't guard people because he just doesn't have the ability even though he tries as hard as possible. :dry:

As far as a real answer to your question, it's much more technique and effort than "ability". Pretty much everyone has the ability to be at least a good defender, it's just about your defensive techniques and team's schemes and working your ass off on that end.