Is passing the torch a dead concept?

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps

How many times has it ever worked? You go back at two of the most infamous examples of it (Hogan/Warrior and Hogan/Rock) neither really were that successful for different reasons….

Warrior felt like Hogan lite and Hulk not really leaving killed the aura of Warrior really being the main guy suffered because of it…

Rock was established in his own right way before Mania 18, but he was off to Hollywood so quick after it never felt like Rock had a moment where it was just him running shyt like Austin or hell to a lesser extent HHH…

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Nah. There just aren’t that many tippy top guys to actually do that these days. I think Cena passed the Torch to Reigns in 2015.

Should’ve been on a bigger show and Reigns should’ve been heel a lot sooner though.

But even if Cody beats Roman I wouldn’t say thats passing the torch because of their age.

Would have to be a young guy on the rise which is what looks like Vince was setting up with Austin Theory before HHH fukked him up :smh:

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 🏝️ Of Relevancy
How many times has it ever worked? You go back at two of the most infamous examples of it (Hogan/Warrior and Hogan/Rock) neither really were that successful for different reasons….

Warrior felt like Hogan lite and Hulk not really leaving killed the aura of Warrior really being the main guy suffered because of it…

Rock was established in his own right way before Mania 18, but he was off to Hollywood so quick after it never felt like Rock had a moment where it was just him running shyt like Austin or hell to a lesser extent HHH…
Hogan coming in to save The Hitman from Yokozuna. Oh Hulkster...

The greatest wrestler and currently greatest booker of All time Hbk passing the torch to Stone Cold at WrestleMania is the last time I can remember that was good in wwf/wwe.

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 🏝️ Of Relevancy
Nah. There just aren’t that many tippy top guys to actually do that these days. I think Cena passed the Torch to Reigns in 2015.

Should’ve been on a bigger show and Reigns should’ve been heel a lot sooner though.

But even if Cody beats Roman I wouldn’t say thats passing the torch because of their age.

Would have to be a young guy on the rise which is what looks like Vince was setting up with Austin Theory before HHH fukked him up :smh:
Triple H is the greatest booker of All time. He brought back wwe universe favorites like hit row, brought Dexter Lumis, Johnny Wrestling, and Tomasso on the main roster. Created a title for the wwe universe because we deserve a fighting champion. Seth defending his titles against jobbers, mid carder superstars was the greatest run in wwe history.

Angry dap, negged, one star, reported, rent free.

OneDeep

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Has anybody in WWE really passed the torch?

Hogan to Austin

Austin to Cena

Cena to Roman

Hogan left WWE didn’t pass it to Austin

Austin left didn’t pass it to Cena

Cena had it until he left for Hollywood and Roman just picked it up

In Japan it’s a thing but not in WWE

Beautiful Bobby Eatin

SWEEEEEEEEEETNESS!
Daps
Reppin
Terra Belle, Georgia
Honestly the last torch passing I can really remember actually working was Harley Race to Ric Flair. Even Flair putting over Sting at the Great American Bash didnt really result in much other than Sting becoming a bonafide main eventer alongside Flair. Flair was supposed to pass the torch to Luger and he went to WWF two weeks before instead so that didnt happen either.

With Vince, it never actually takes place unless you sort of count the Undertaker finally endorsing Bray Wyatt not long before his untimely death.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
Can Rikishi pass the torch to Nia so she stops covering up and starts wearing a thong :mjgrin:
Ay fukking Yooooooooooo :bryan: :bryan:

And Warrior was way more over than people say. I was 7 at the time but people fukked with Warrior more than Hoegan. Hoegan being a mark for himself fukked up Warrior reign.

Perfect shoulda been the one he dropped the title to at Royal Rumble 91. Hoegan wanting to be a hero fukked everyone up and this was right around the time the crowd became :camby: towards Hoegan

Savage was more over at WM7 than Hoegan and he was like the biggest heel on the roster :sas2:

And everyone know Savage vs Warrior was the highlight of that night. :sas1:

That woulda been a better world title match than what we got :hhh:

• Haha
Reactions: jeh

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Passing the Torch works only when the fans are behind someone; so let's say Cody or LA Knight.

If your trying to pass it off to a unknown, or a person who hasn't connect with the crowd by themselves yet it won't work in this era of Wrestling.

• Dap

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 🏝️ Of Relevancy
Ay fukking Yooooooooooo :bryan: :bryan:

And Warrior was way more over than people say. I was 7 at the time but people fukked with Warrior more than Hoegan. Hoegan being a mark for himself fukked up Warrior reign.

Perfect shoulda been the one he dropped the title to at Royal Rumble 91. Hoegan wanting to be a hero fukked everyone up and this was right around the time the crowd became :camby: towards Hoegan

Savage was more over at WM7 than Hoegan and he was like the biggest heel on the roster :sas2:

And everyone know Savage vs Warrior was the highlight of that night. :sas1:

That woulda been a better world title match than what we got :hhh:
People talk down on Warrior because it the cool in thing to do. Warrior returning to save Hogan is one of the greatest moments in history. Loudest pop ever.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
People talk down on Warrior because it the cool in thing to do. Warrior returning to save Hogan is one of the greatest moments in history. Loudest pop ever.
Yea Warrior was a dope champ, he just didn’t have a lot of title defenses but that ain’t his fault :gucci:

Only title defense I remember was vs Rude at SummerSlam and even then Hoegan just had to make his match(vs Earthquake) a main event one :hhh:

Hoegan try to get credit for trying to pass the torch to Warrior but he sabotaged his entire reign. Hoegan even made it a point to kick out at 3 at Mania 6. But try to make it seem like Warrior dropped the ball. Warrior was way more liked by fans than Hoegan in 1990. :sas2:

Warrior shoulda kept it till at least WM7 and defended it vs Savage, that woulda been better than Warrior vs Hoegan and Hoegan knew it :umad:

That might actually have went down at the GOAT WM world title match till this day :banderas:

But if they had to make him drop it at the Rumble it shoulda been to Perfect or Savage. Hoegan vs Slaughter was the worst WM main event prolly till this day :hhh:

• Dap