Is on the job training more valuable than a college education?

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
honestly man from personal experience i think it takes both to really get ahead

you can put yo head in a book but be broke and strugglin and you can be makin good money then hit a ceiling as far as career wise

i would say knowing how to make things work in your favor is more important

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
No, don't expect every company to share the same attention to detail as everyone else.

And sometimes there are people that just can't be trained.

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
My question is would the system be more beneficial if it worked in reverse. You get the job 1st then proceed to get that degree after having an understanding on what the job entails?

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It really depends. A college degree is more "generic" and gets your foot in the door at more companies.

You have to be careful with industry specific training and software or whatever because a company could be worlds behind current versions of certain softwares or philosophies. I've worked for the government and almost every application we used was out of date. As horrible as this is, I don't' really care about the tasks assigned to me at a job but more so the technology used to complete the task. If it's not the current version, then I'm going to ask when/if an upgrade is planned and if there is none I'm probably going to look for something else.

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
The college degree is used as an indicator that you're trainable, and that you've acomplished something. However on the job training is what you'll actually be doing on the job, so obviosuly it's very important.

A certain companies' pracatices may be different form others, but you'd better learn how they do things if you're going to do their job.

Zapp Brannigan

Captain of the Nimbus
Daps
Reppin
DOOP
Not sure if this answers your question, but I always thought that an absolutely important part of anyone's education should be internships that are very relevant to the field that you're trying to get into. If you are in engineering, get something related to that. If you are in media, get something related to that. The relevant "on the job" experience that you get from these internships should be part of a complete education experience that you need to advance far in your career.

:manny: My two cents.

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
It really depends. A college degree is more "generic" and gets your foot in the door at more companies.

You have to be careful with industry specific training and software or whatever because a company could be worlds behind current versions of certain softwares or philosophies. I've worked for the government and almost every application we used was out of date. As horrible as this is, I don't' really care about the tasks assigned to me at a job but more so the technology used to complete the task. If it's not the current version, then I'm going to ask when/if an upgrade is planned and if there is none I'm probably going to look for something else.

Funny you would say that, bc most government jobs the high paying ones require a generic college degree with shyt loads of on the job experience especially with veterans. But going to school and getting deep in debt only to find out most of the shyt they taught you isn't relevant to your field isn't gravy either now. :lupe:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Funny you would say that, bc most government jobs the high paying ones require a generic college degree with shyt loads of on the job experience especially with veterans. But going to school and getting deep in debt only to find out most of the shyt they taught you isn't relevant to your field isn't gravy either now. :lupe:

You don't have to borrow money to get a college education.

I should have clarified and said State government...Maryland in particular because that's where I live. Anywho I've found the MD State Government to have the most lax hiring criteria. Folks applying for management jobs don't need a degree if they have X number of year experience. The corporate jobs I've looked at require the damn mail folks to have a college degree (exaggerating but not really).

With all that said people here look at local government jobs for benefits and stability. Once you do your 90 days you're pretty much guaranteed not to go anywhere. They rarely do layoffs and at the most you'll be forced to take furlough days but you'll still have your job. When that's the case people don't really give a damn about what technology they are using as long as they know they will have a job.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
For certain jobs, EASILY. A lot of degrees are there to filter people out and for companies to have something 'tangible' to look at before deciding to hire candidates by. On the other hand, for technical professions, like engineering, accounting, medicine, or law, degrees are essential because it's not likely that most people will be able to gain the knowledge required to do those jobs on their own. For certain jobs, especially in the computing or art world, experience is way better.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
chicken and egg problem.

If you can manage to slip in without the degree you should be ok.

70% of the programmers here are high school geeks making 6 figures.
problem is some companies will not look at you if you don't have the degree, at my company we do basic skill set test before hiring regardless of education level.

if you can program or have network engineering experience we don't care about your educational background...

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
Man, if colleges got rid of these stupid a$$, useless general ed / humanities course requirements that they force people to pay for + books we rarely use, it would be a better place. If you are going to college and you're going to pay for it, but you don't already know how to write an essay or do algebra, then maybe college isn't a place for you

In my experience, school today is nothing but an expensive rehash of high school + 2.5 years of career related coursework. These places :eat: off people who come here, undecided about what they want to do because it's damn sure not built for people who know where they want to go. If you need to pay $25,000 a year to find yourself, travel and run up a few credit card limits. You'll have better memories and the same amount of debt :heh:

As far as my course related classes tho, I value those except for the fact that all of my professors are foreign and can barely speak English :dead:. It's almost like there are no american engineering professor anymore....where y'all at?!?!

I've said it before, this internship this summer has been more valuable to me than all 3.5 years in college :shrug2:. To be honest, I don't even want to go back in the fall, but I need the degree to open up my ceiling in regards to career advancement.

/ rant off :done: