Is it worth getting the PS4 Pro?

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
I might it get tomorrow night, I don't have 4k, so maybe i might get a 4k tv as well any recommendations?

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
No

If I would have known better 2 years ago I would have just gotten a ps4 slim instead of a pro. When I'm at my moms house playing with my lil bro the games on his OG ps4 look just as good. And more importantly the support for enhanced gaming has been trash, especially from the japanese studios. They don't even try to utilize the extra gpu power.

Sony themselves had to make a BOOST mode just to at least allow users to get some kind of benefit out of the system for most games that don't have official PRO support. And Boost mode is....ok. All it really does is just clean up games that were known to dip below 30fps.

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
No

If I would have known better 2 years ago I would have just gotten a ps4 slim instead of a pro. When I'm at my moms house playing with my lil bro the games on his OG ps4 look just as good. And more importantly the support for enhanced gaming has been trash, especially from the japanese studios. They don't even try to utilize the extra gpu power.

Sony themselves had to make a BOOST mode just to at least allow users to get some kind of benefit out of the system for most games that don't have official PRO support. And Boost mode is....ok. All it really does is just clean up games that were known to dip below 30fps.
Good looking out

Judo

Producer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LevelUp+ 2020 & Beyond
4K not even being fully utilized on the Pro. Stick to the slim for now. Personally, I'm waiting on the 5 to do full 4K gaming for the first time.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you have a 4K TV and you play a multitude of games, it's worth it.

For non 4K, you have certain games that provide a high framerate mode as well as the better graphics mode.

For the few games that aren't supported, there's a system option called Super Sampling that cleans up the image nicely for users on 1080P TVs.

It seems to be a half-step device meant for better quality for premium users. Those who feel it's not worth it, the slim PS4 is more than fine.

Edit: The boost it provides for PSVR is pretty damn good too. A lot of folks seem to forget that.

This video showcases something people don't mention also. The PS4 Pro mode for example in this game allows for 60fps in the game, something the base PS4 can't do. It's not just "4K vs Non 4K"

Some games the difference is subtle and some games there's a big difference.

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
If you have a 4K TV and you play a multitude of games, it's worth it.

For non 4K, you have certain games that provide a high framerate mode as well as the better graphics mode.

For the few games that aren't supported, there's a system option called Super Sampling that cleans up the image nicely for users on 1080P TVs.

It seems to be a half-step device meant for better quality for premium users. Those who feel it's not worth it, the slim PS4 is more than fine.

Edit: The boost it provides for PSVR is pretty damn good too. A lot of folks seem to forget that.

This video showcases something people don't mention also. The PS4 Pro mode for example in this game allows for 60fps in the game, something the base PS4 can't do. It's not just "4K vs Non 4K"

Some games the difference is subtle and some games there's a big difference.

that frame rate is HORRIBLE in tomb raider without the pro... seems like two different games. usually i go for the "graphic" option if they give you one.. this is the first game that the framerate without it, makes me sick to even play... janky as hell

as for the OP... i haven't played on a reg ps4 since i bought one. but if i'm out here buying $2500 tvs, I might as well pay the extra $100 to maximize the things hooked up on it. it'd be like not having 4k netflix but you got the tv tho... what's the point

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I might it get tomorrow night, I don't have 4k, so maybe i might get a 4k tv as well any recommendations?
We're probably in the final year and a half or so of the PS4 being the mainstream console. 2020 there's talk from developers that it'll be replaced. Could be as soon as March 2020. If you don't have a 4K TV why bother spending more on the 4K PS4 when it's closer to being on its way out than not?

If I was getting a PS4 today I'd look for that Spiderman bundle for $199.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
How much is the Pro and how much is the Slim?

It's worth it for the better performance. If you're a casual then you won't understand

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
that frame rate is HORRIBLE in tomb raider without the pro... seems like two different games. usually i go for the "graphic" option if they give you one.. this is the first game that the framerate without it, makes me sick to even play... janky as hell

as for the OP... i haven't played on a reg ps4 since i bought one. but if i'm out here buying $2500 tvs, I might as well pay the extra $100 to maximize the things hooked up on it. it'd be like not having 4k netflix but you got the tv tho... what's the point
:manny: