Is HBO/Max in trouble? FIRST DUD OF THE YR

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps

Seems like a documentary prime for some fukkery right? :mjgrin:

Guessed wrong :beli:

The problem is, the film chose not to dive into the most interesting aspects of Bama Rush and instead spent a lot of time on director Rachel Fleit’s lifelong struggle with alopecia and her personal fascination with fitting in and sorority culture. While her story is interesting, it’s no Bama Rush.

Viewers felt like the documentary was a bait and switch. We were promised salacious sorority content and got the director’s personal story instead. One viewer said, “Using Alabama sorority rush as a Trojan horse to talk about your battle with alopecia is easily one of the most bizarre directorial choices in the history of film.” While the film does a great job of humanizing the four young students it featured, it just lacks a voice of reason that critically talks about everything sketchy about Greek life in general and Bama Rush in particular. Another succinct review says “This is a recruitment commercial for Alabama, a therapy session for a filmmaker with alopecia, a TikTok ad. This isn’t a good or interesting documentary.”

:huhldup:
Yeah I ain’t watching this shyt
God damn white women and their me me me trauma bullshyt
I was tryna see fukkery:camby:

This isn’t on HBO
That’s Max for letting this shyt happen
Cock suckinng WB weirdo bytches
Im sorry this isn’t a good sign for HBO and max shyt
This shyt bad

Like the stupid idiot suits at Max let this happen? HBO people getting pushed out on ideas?
No way they see this and decided yeah lets put this bait and switch catfish documentary?

I hate this merger shyt they can go to hell

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
HBO is fine… the app is meh. All they did was clutter it with a bunch of reality shows and Docs I could care less about. It makes me mad knowing all the good shows cancelled on HBO after the acquisition just to make room for shows I’ll never watch. Now with Succession and Barry being over I’m not sure what takes over as the top HBO show so the more I think about it maybe I am worried because we might get great storytelling replaced by reality shows and documentaries

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Not the first dud just add it with the others for @daemonova to hide:mjgrin:
What you want me to say?!?!?!

You got two choices!!!

You could be Apple, Amazon, Showtime*, Starz, etc. And greenlight wholesale multiple bad ideas.

Or...

Without getting into the rest of Max lineup, a director having an ax to grind and using young girls as a smokescreen.

Yeah, that sucks but Max is still better than the mound of bad ideas that exist on other streaming services.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
That Reality movie looks good... :lupe: idk. seem like they chose to put it out at a slower time so people wouldn't be too upset about the switch.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One mess of a documentary doesn't necessarily spell doom and gloom. In all honesty, even before the merger, HBO Max had a tendency to have some oddball documentaries about stuff that was overly specific and important to the director.

Maybe you could argue that the Discovery side of the audience came in with a different set of expectations, considering what type of content they usually get?