Is Chrono Trigger the greatest JRPG ever?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think if Xenogears was able to be fully finished it would have given it a run for its money but....

ctbox_back.jpg

48539.jpg

the holy grail :wow:

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
chrono trigger is incredible. played on an emulator to see what the hype was about and it exceeded my expectations
still timeless to this day

what year? This is the first game i ever played on emulator on my first compaq desktop. I was never able to actually buy the game only rent it for years but my brothers friend hooked up our computer and was like yo, you know about emulators? :wow:

Daps
what year? This is the first game i ever played on emulator on my first compaq desktop. I was never able to actually buy the game my brothers friend hooked up our computer and was like yo, you know about emulators? :wow:
a WHILE back like when I was a teenager so around 2009 or 2010 I think

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
a WHILE back like when I was a teenager so around 2009 or 2010 I think

that’s wild that you first played it last decade and it still held up for you. Proves it’s not just nostalgia goggles for me

its tied with Earthbound for the snes.
frank.jpg

earthbound is a very close second. Everything after that is debatable for Me

8.TRES

All Star
Daps
havent played many jrpgs at all but chrono trigger is in my top 10 games of all time so i cant disagree

craziest thing that stood out to me about it is how long the game is

it was mad times i thought i was near the end just for another twist to hit the plot

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
I played it first time in like 2008. Still held up. Absolute classic.

Can’t say it’s the GOAT because I don’t play JRPGs like that. But Persona 5 is my favorite.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
havent played many jrpgs at all but chrono trigger is in my top 10 games of all time so i cant disagree

craziest thing that stood out to me about it is how long the game is

it was mad times i thought i was near the end just for another twist to hit the plot

Ironically, it's not that long of a game at all, lol. I mean, even if you do the all the subplots and go thru the game from start to finish in its most "chronological" fashion, it's only about 30 hours. What's crazy is how you can beat the game straight from the beginning for one of the many endings.

And to answer the thread, yes, greatest of all time.

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes easily,

It still has done things better games till this day. When you realize the raw talent behind that game you can kinda understand why. It was basically a all star squad of the best of the best that worked on it before they even blew up like they are known for now.

The game had everything you could ask for, plus a great story. Events they can't even pull off well in current games and multiple endings plus a new game +

It wasn't overly convoluted either.

Spoiler alert for those that never played it.

But beating the game and going to new game plus and being able to fight lavos and various different times all resulting in different ends. Amazing your main character dying and you being able to finish the game without him, so many gems.

There are 2 games that are truly 10/10 works of art masterpieces.

Chrono trigger and metal gear on playstation 1