Is Anyone Here Squatting 3 Plates Or More? Share Your Wisdom

Daps
My goal is to clear 3 plates multiple times ass to the ground. I’ve decided to build from the ground up and I can do 2 plates the way I want but I’m trying to work up

What worked for you?

Also I noticed that I’m sleeping my weekends away after squatting Friday nights. Normal?

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I back squatted 4 plates and front squatted 3 plates. It’s overrated. Keep doing what you’re doing, ass to the grass or it doesn’t count. Focus on a 3 rep max to avoid injury and if you can get to 3 plates at a 3 rep max, awesome.

As far as things I did when I was younger.. breathing squats once a week. I’d do 315 for 1 set of 20. You’re supposed to take what you can do 10 times and force 20 reps out of that weight before you rerack. I’m not advising you to do this by the way. Like I said before. It’s overrated.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My goal is to clear 3 plates multiple times ass to the ground. I’ve decided to build from the ground up and I can do 2 plates the way I want but I’m trying to work up

What worked for you?

Also I noticed that I’m sleeping my weekends away after squatting Friday nights. Normal?

My numbers probably aren't as impressive as some of the others brehs, but honestly consistency and frequency helped me with getting squat numbers up to 3 plates . Starting Strength/Stronglifts are a good blueprint for increasing your squat numbers imo. The added (heavy) frequency allows for more growth and you get a better feel from squatting 3x per week vs once or maybe twice really spread out.

Also, remember to warm up, and I'm referring more so to a dynamic warm up rather than hitting the treadmill, especially if you have a low active lifestyle outside of the gym. Sitting a lot isn't all that great for you, and it takes me a while to get my posterior warmed up properly.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps

What worked for you?

I'd say what do you want to do at 3 plates and above? Reps? Heavy sets? Either
  • Squatting in some variation with a barbell (Front or Back) twice a week
  • Variations on back squats like pause squats and box squats can also help

Daps
I'd say what do you want to do at 3 plates and above? Reps? Heavy sets? Either
  • Squatting in some variation with a barbell (Front or Back) twice a week
  • Variations on back squats like pause squats and box squats can also help

Just a couple of back reps...like 3...ass to grass

LordOfTheTalentedAndLazy

All Star
Supporter
Daps
My max is a 350 lb back squat at a bodyweight of 178. Not overly impressive but it's 3 plates :yeshrug:

Cosign @BillBanneker and @The ADD as far as consistency, frequency, and a solid strength program. Starting Strength is great for beginners, Texas method 5x5 and also RPT training are two of my favorites for intermediate gains, and I'm currently doing 5/3/1 which is a great coasting/advanced/I like doing other physical shyt besides just lifting heavy program. If you're not doing 3 plates yet then you should probably be looking at starting strength or texas method (or any other 5x5, I hear Stronglifts 5x5 is good too).

Depending on your height, weight and current strength levels you might get to three plates before the year is over, or it might take slightly more time, but if you're consistent with your workouts, with your diet (eat whole foods don't get fukked up off the liquor every weekend, minimize processed and fast foods), and sleep (8 hours a night consistently), you'll be there in no time.

Two more things: First, stick to whatever program you're doing above all else, but pause squats are something that you can consider throwing in on some of the lower weight work sets (especially in 5/3/1 if you're doing first set last sets, that'll make sense if you read the book). I'll generally do like 3 sets 8 first set last squats where the first 3 reps include a 3-5 sec pause. And I mean a full one-mississippi, two-mississippi, three-mississippi, four-mississippi, five-mississippi count, don't cheat yourself. Having to pause in the hole builds alot of stability in that position and gives me way more confidence when I'm going down there with heavier weights.

And lastly, 3 plates ain't even that serious. Sometimes you make these plate goals a big thing in your mind and psyche yourself out but when you finally break past it you realize it wasn't shyt. I used to think 3 plates on deadlift was insane and now I do that as part of my warmup/early work sets. Wrap your mind around the fact that this weight you think is crazy will be light weight for you in time as long as you're doing the right things. Just focus on consistency above all else with the important things (gym frequency, diet, sleep) and the results will inevitably come over time.