Is a good mechanical keyboard worth it?

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Does it make a difference typing? I got G613 Logitech but wanted to try a true mechanical keyboard for non gaming though just office work and typing so I was heckling out a few. Does it make a difference?

what keyboards you dude use?

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
i'm a using a Corsair K70 Rgb Rapidfire Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

OddFormalGrunion-size_restricted.gif

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
it's one of those things where everyone is kind of skeptical at first, but they don't regret it when they get one. it's definitely a great upgrade if you use a keyboard a lot

I have a Ducky One with Cherry MX Browns

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
nothing is objectively better for you. it just depends on you. i prefer tactile clicks when i type. i have become accustomed to only pressing enough to click and then letting go. if that isnt you, then it really doesnt matter what you type on. a mushy membrane board might get the job done because you are used to it.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
I've been getting into my keyboards a lot recently. Hard to find something that I thought was perfect for me, but I am 95% of the way there via a custom build. Will spin up an "official" thread tomorrow when I'm more awake

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

Allen Poe

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans --> Las Vegas
nothing is objectively better for you. it just depends on you. i prefer tactile clicks when i type. i have become accustomed to only pressing enough to click and then letting go. if that isnt you, then it really doesnt matter what you type on. a mushy membrane board might get the job done because you are used to it.

This. I would say buy 2 cheap mechanic keyboards on amazon: one with red switches (linear, quiet keys), and one with blue switches ("clicky" keys with tactile feedback). See which you prefer, and then return one or both to UPS store or Kohl's and then dive down that rabbit hole if you want to get something really quality.

As for my personal experience, I was perfectly fine using a regular ole membrane keyboard, but I was curious about mechanicals and got me a cheap $20 one to try out. Loved it, bought a better one, and now anything that isn't a mech with blue switches just feels weird to me.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Does it make a difference typing? I got G613 Logitech but wanted to try a true mechanical keyboard for non gaming though just office work and typing so I was heckling out a few. Does it make a difference?

what keyboards you dude use?

Really it ain't much difference. All down to preference really. People used to make the argument for mechanicals beacause of BS like "actuation force" and what not. But really its just a bout feel. A membrane will do you fine if that's what feels good.

I personally had a mechanical back in the day that had blue switches, felt good but the sound got annoying. Got some random ass hyper-x with Cherry Red switches in it and I love it. The sound isn't as bad but I still get that feel I like of actually mashing a key down.

For me its the difference between reading on a phone and reading an actual book. The latter just "feels" better.

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
was for me. I was on a membrane kb just a few months ago. Never realized how shyt key actuation was on my old membrane board. I would miss so many key presses just cause I didn't press down hard enough

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Im on my second one now. For the last few years ive been using one with Outemu blue switches and its been great but after a while I realized it provides very little privacy due to it being loud and clicky. Recently realized I got nosy ass neighbors who keep tabs on me so I went and bought another with silent tactile switches for about $95 and that have zero regrets. The typing experience feel premium but most importantly: quicker :ohlawd:

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
I switched to mechanical keyboards after my second PC build 8 years ago and never looked back. Yes its worth it

Edit: fukk me. U fakkits need to stop upping 2 year old threads. Got me replying to dead convos and shyt