Is 70 - 80 carbs a day too little to build muscle?

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I'm trying to add muscle but get leaner.

I'm plan on consuming between 190 - 220 grams of protein a day.

I know the rule is that you need carbs to build muscle, but is that mainly for energy purposes?

I'm not trying to be on some adkins shyt, but must foods with carbs like pasta, potatoes, and oatmeal, I don't fukk with anyway.

I think 70 is low but its it too low to see any muscle gains?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
The number to some degree is going to be relative to your caloric/macro targets. In a building phase you should want to utilize them since you are in some form of a surplus. It can be done but I won’t see why you would. Ultimately it needs to fit within your volume and intensity of your programming. It you aren’t training in a way that’s burning through glycogen at a higher rate then they can be more limited.

Last edited:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The number to some degree is going to be relative to your caloric/macro targets. In a building phase you should want to utilize them since you are in some form of a surplus. It can be done but I won’t see why you would. Ultimately it needs to fit within your volume and intensity of your programming. It you aren’t training in a way that’s burning through glycogen at a higher rate then they can be more limited.

So basically it depends upon work out intensity as glycogen is stored in the muscles, which are used to gain size.
Too little, and I won't see any gains.
Too much coupled with little to no weight training, and the carbs will turn into :flabbynsick:

So I guess I will plan my carb intake around my work out routine. On cardio days, I will go to low carb consumption.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Carbs are underrated and protein is overrated as far as building muscle goes

Yes it's way too little IMO

You need both. You need protein to rebuild muscle fibers :mjpls:

Carbs are important, but it all depends on how you use them. Since I created this thread, I've read about a process call carb back loading

restrict carbs for 10 days, then load up on heavy lifting days. I think I'm going to go that route. Basically, only consume a lot of carbs when I work out.

I plan on working out 4 days a week, but only lifting 3. So for the other 4 days a week, I will just keep my carb intake between 30 - 40.

On lift days, I will eat 200 the first day, 100 the 2nd day and 90 the third day :manny:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
So basically it depends upon work out intensity as glycogen is stored in the muscles, which are used to gain size.
Too little, and I won't see any gains.
Too much coupled with little to no weight training, and the carbs will turn into :flabbynsick:

So I guess I will plan my carb intake around my work out routine. On cardio days, I will go to low carb consumption.
Close

Simply the carbs are the quick mechanism to increase training volume. Protein is building block. A little further down the carbs can play role in hormone production.

To @GinaThatAintNoDamnPuppy! point, protein consumption needs are a little overstated IMO. Getting 3-4 good servings spaced out during your day is most important. More doesn’t hurt because it’s low risk but getting the timing right should be first and foremost.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
You need both. You need protein to rebuild muscle fibers :mjpls:

Carbs are important, but it all depends on how you use them. Since I created this thread, I've read about a process call carb back loading

restrict carbs for 10 days, then load up on heavy lifting days. I think I'm going to go that route. Basically, only consume a lot of carbs when I work out.

I plan on working out 4 days a week, but only lifting 3. So for the other 4 days a week, I will just keep my carb intake between 30 - 40.

On lift days, I will eat 200 the first day, 100 the 2nd day and 90 the third day :manny:
I’ve spent a little change on carb back loading coaching so you are in range but a few tweaks. I would worry so much about the 10 days. Especially if you aren’t carb heavy now.

Are you lifting 3 straight days?

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
I’ve spent a little change on carb back loading coaching so you are in range but a few tweaks. I would worry so much about the 10 days. Especially if you aren’t carb heavy now.

Are you lifting 3 straight days?

I just ended my first week. I lift on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Cardio on Wednesdays, and Saturdays. Rest on Fridays and Sundays.

So I was going to restrict carbs on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

On Monday, I will do light lifting and load up on carbs after that work out. Tuesdays is heavy lifting, I will lower my carbs to 100 to 120. Wednesdays is cardio and that's when I would stay around 100 or just enough to get me through Thursday.

This is my first time doing something like this so I will need to see how it pans out and tweak it as I go.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I just ended my first week. I lift on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Cardio on Wednesdays, and Saturdays. Rest on Fridays and Sundays.

So I was going to restrict carbs on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

On Monday, I will do light lifting and load up on carbs after that work out. Tuesdays is heavy lifting, I will lower my carbs to 100 to 120. Wednesdays is cardio and that's when I would stay around 100 or just enough to get me through Thursday.

This is my first time doing something like this so I will need to see how it pans out and tweak it as I go.
Sounds dialed in, good plan. Just monitor it as you mentioned.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
You wanna do everything at the same time and that's what's so frustrating coming to this section sometimes. Every thread is "I wanna lose weight AND gain muscle".

Man you are probably holding a lot of body fat so focus on lean out first. It is the summer so do that. In the fall/winter, go on a nice, slow bulk and add on the muscle.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Dont cut carbs while bulding breh. U only wanna do that when ur on an actual cut and even then it doesnt have to be as excessive

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
I didn't do the refeeding thing, until I was totally lean. For us boxers it was no carbs after lunch and protein heavy meals. Now that I don't fight anymore I focus more on lifting and do light carbs through out the day.

I don't recommend the refeeding carb loading thing until you lean out.