IPhone 12 anti repair design lmfao

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I used to repair iPhones and MacBook's a long time ago, glad i got out of it. fukk Apple, this is one of the major reasons i would never own one.

man, given how expensive these devices are, I wouldn't attempt to repair one anymore. back in the day I would. but that stopped with the 6S when I attempted to replace the battery, and I accidently bent it, and it literally caught on fire where it damaged the charging port and I had to buy a new phone immediately.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
government
UK keeps putting the heat on them with stuff like this
U.S. well :yeshrug:
they are checking them for privacy issues. this is not that. I'm talking about them making phones that can't be repaired on purpose and the overall way companies are using modern tech to make your electronics less an item you own and more of an item you lease. they are manipulating your ability to use them effectively or have the option to repair independently. this is something that consumers have to raise up as an issue. something that legislation needs to address.

Tesla for example selling cars that deactivate featured once they are resold second hand. its a lot of manipulation and consumers have to raise issue or accept it. the government is not stepping in on this one

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
man, given how expensive these devices are, I wouldn't attempt to repair one anymore. back in the day I would. but that stopped with the 6S when I attempted to replace the battery, and I accidently bent it, and it literally caught on fire where it damaged the charging port and I had to buy a new phone immediately.
but they are not just preventing you from repairing them but independent professionals.

if you can't swap components that are OEM between 2 brand new iPhones then that's foul. dude in the video wasn't using third party anything and he was a professional.

the phones have been programmed to not function right just because you repaired them as the OP video showed. that's going too far.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
they are checking them for privacy issues. this is not that. I'm talking about them making phones that can't be repaired on purpose and the overall way companies are using modern tech to make your electronics less an item you own and more of an item you lease. they are manipulating your ability to use them effectively or have the option to repair independently. this is something that consumers have to raise up as an issue. something that legislation needs to address.

Tesla for example selling cars that deactivate featured once they are resold second hand. its a lot of manipulation and consumers have to raise issue or accept it. the government is not stepping in on this one
you're talking about the right to repair act
Fix, or Toss? The ‘Right to Repair’ Movement Gains Ground

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
but they are not just preventing you from repairing them but independent professionals.

if you can't swap components that are OEM between 2 brand new iPhones then that's foul. dude in the video wasn't using third party anything and he was a professional.

the phones have been programmed to not function right just because you repaired them as the OP video showed. that's going too far.

I have no doubt people will figure a way around this though

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I have no doubt people will figure a way around this though
no doubt but it needs to be on the books illegal to program a device so it doesn't function right when repaired. that's encroaching on what ownership is. if these companies don't want to outright sell their devices then they gonna have to give us lease prices or get their hands cuffed on paper.

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
That’s just the way the world is moving with these greedy ass corps :yeshrug:

Car, electronics, and especially in my field ( commercial HVACR ). Manufacturers are starting to put shyt in that you can only repair with proprietary software that they sale for thousands. Carrier ( the biggest hvac manufacturer here ) even started selling a fukking laptop connection cable for their units for like 2 grand :mjlol:

and once one company gets away with the shyt all the others follow that same blueprint...

Last edited:

Hoshi_Toshi

Superstar
Daps
That’s just the way the world is moving with these greedy ass corps :yeshrug:

Car, electronics, and especially in my field ( commercial HVACR ). Manufacturers are starting to put shyt in that you can only repair with proprietary software that they sale for thousands. Carrier ( the biggest hvac manufacturer here ) even started selling a fukking laptop connection cable for their units for like 2 grand :mjlol:

and once one company gets away with the shyt all the others follow that same blueprint...
The fukking John Deere tractors had some kind of DRM shyt on them making it impossible to repair unless you took it to them lol farmers were mad as hell.

my mom got a fridge with a water filter that does the same bullshyt. Can’t even replace it with a generic filter or it gives error codes.

I remember the days when all I had to be mad about was the printer companies fukking you over when all you wanted to do was print out a black and white document but they wouldn’t work if one of the other colors was out.