In RPG’s that allow character customization do you prefer voiced or non voiced?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This seems like an issue with rpgs, stuff like bethesda style, larian, cyberpunk, From…etc It’s like eitehr your characters is mute and you just respond through text or they give it a voice actor like cyberpunk and fallout where they obviously sound like white dudes.

What do you prefer, mute or one voice fits all approach?

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
Voiced. Playing without a voice is kind of boring. Although not the only reason, it is part of the reason I had trouble getting into The Outer Worlds.

I haven't seen an RPG do this, but the way Saints Row handles voices really works for me. They have voice options based on race, so my character doesn't sound like a white man or women in black face.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Voiced is more immersive, but you typically have more dialog options in games without it like the old fallouts or outer worlds. Depends on how it’s executed really, but I don’t mind not having my character voiced if it allows for more options.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
Non-voiced provides more replay value. It also depends if the RPG offers multiple origins or backstories for your character.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
I guess it depends but i definitely prefer a silent protagonist in an RPG. Mass Effect had a great voice actor, but Fallout 4 was ruined by the dialogue. But I could also see it being real annoying if you had to read the entirety of a text heavy game like Persona 5, Pillars of Eternity, etc...idk, its probably because I'm an old head that i dont mind so much

Mr Clean

Superstar
Daps
Rather have them silent if I can create the whole look. The way I create my characters the voice is not gonna match :mjpls:

In games with dialog options you can do a lot more with a silent protagonist. I'd rather have that

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
This seems like an issue with rpgs, stuff like bethesda style, larian, cyberpunk, From…etc It’s like eitehr your characters is mute and you just respond through text or they give it a voice actor like cyberpunk and fallout where they obviously sound like white dudes.

What do you prefer, mute or one voice fits all approach?

Saints Row 3 is too goofy, but, I liked the multiple voices.

But, I still prefer non voiced and talk via text ala Fallout 3 and NV

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I prefer voiced, but I don't like it when the voice doesn't really match my character. being voiced also tends to put a limit on the number of dialog choices

also Aloy talking to herself in HZD is annoying