Im nearing 60 pages on my horror script second draft

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Wish i could find someone brutally honest to read this bytch but i dont want to share with strangers on the internet

Also while watching sinister the other day... i was like no way this is 90 pages

A lot of shyt happens that can be just described as guy watches video

I was counting words and shyt in my mind soon as the town sherriff pulled up

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Wish i could find someone brutally honest to read this bytch but i dont want to share with strangers on the internet

Also while watching sinister the other day... i was like no way this is 90 pages

How long do you plan on it being?

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

In a bad script, yes.

In a good one, no.

In a good script each beat of the video and the characters subsequent reaction to that beat, whether physical or emotional, should get its own action line.

BTW - Screenwriting/Filmmaking

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
In a bad script, yes.

In a good one, no.

In a good script each beat of the video and the characters subsequent reaction to that beat, whether physical or emotional, should get its own action line.

BTW - Screenwriting/Filmmaking

Im speaking on sinister in particular

And a lot of reactions are left up to the director and actors

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Im speaking on sinister in particular

And a lot of reactions are left up to the director and actors

You're not supposed to direct or coach an actor from the page, but you can subtly steer it in the direction you'd prefer. Describing the emotion the guy is feeling while watching the video still gives the actor room to find his version of the performance in it. That's what I mean.

And besides, directors and actors get the script 2nd or 3rd after an executive or production company.

If you don't have the producer on the edge of his/her (his :lolbron:) seat when he reads it first, how is it gonna make it to a director or actor?

That GUY WATCHES VIDEO part is your opportunity to build tension or reveal something.

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
You're not supposed to direct or coach an actor from the page, but you can subtly steer it in the direction you'd prefer. Describing the emotion the guy is feeling while watching the video still gives the actor room to find his version of the performance in it. That's what I mean.

And besides, directors and actors get the script 2nd or 3rd after an executive or production company.

If you don't have the producer on the edge of his/her (his :lolbron:) seat when he reads it first, how is it gonna make it to a director or actor?

That GUY WATCHES VIDEO part is your opportunity to build tension or reveal something.

I read the tourist by clair noto and it seemed prettt bare

I felt like i was getting too descriptive

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I read the tourist by clair noto and it seemed prettt bare

I felt like i was getting too descriptive

There's always a fine line, and that's the hard part about writing. This is one way it was described to me:

Imagine a circle that's just outlined in pen. A good writer draws 80% of the circle and lets the reader mentally draw the other 20% in their head.

If you draw too much of the circle (like being too descriptive) you're giving the reader too much and taking the fun out of discovering and figuring out the story for themselves.

If you draw too little of the circle (like simply saying GUY WATCHES VIDEO) you'll either lose the reader who won't know what you mean or where you're going, or worse, you'll give the reader too much room to fill in the blanks and possibly take the story in a completely different direction than you intended.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
yorga58.jpg