I'm looking to start back in the gym... first time in 4 years

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Please bare with me - daps and rep will be given

I'm 5'9 around 160-165 pounds (last time I checked).

I always noticed a difference in my shoulders and chest with the gym, however, for some odd reason, there never was a difference in my biceps.

Anyways, one of the main reasons I've always been hesitant to start the gym again is because everyone always has different theories on how I should maintain my program. One person says sleep and what you eat is 50% of your progress, another says 80% of your progress is what you eat, another says you can eat fast food and soda because you're gonna need to bulk up, the other says that's the last thing you wanna eat - you get the picture

Also don't think my exercises were right either. I'd do one body part every other day (ie. Chest - Monday and Wednesday, Shoulders - Tuesday and Thursday, etc). And I'd usually share that body part with another body part (ie. Chest day with legs, shoulder day with biceps, etc)

From what I've read, you're suppose to go hard on one body part just once that week. Furthermore more I'd do like 15 sets in the routine, 5 exercises, 3 sets per each, 8 reps max)

I was on protein shakes and creatine at a point too, didn't see any change with those, but that was most likely due to my diet and lack of going hard. The one thing I can say I did good was I made sure I went everyday from Monday to Friday (but hey didn't accomplish much while I was there lol)

Anyways, I'm tryna get my thing back on. If you guys can provide the right exercises for each day, what you recommend I eat and don't eat, how often, how much to sleep, etc - it be great. If there's a thread like this already direct me to it.

My goal? Not tryna be Mr. Olympia. My first goal is something like this (and no I don't care it's Drake lol).

I'd be more than happy with this...at least in the beginning. How long would this take?

rs_600x600-150707093537-600-drake-instagram-shirtless.jpg

Last edited:

dc007

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DC
You probably aren't eating enough. If you track your calories and eat at a surplus, you should achieve your goal. Download my fitness pal and log all your meals.

I like doing upper/lower body split days but there are a lot of ways you can workout. As long as you are doing compound lifts, and dont' skip leg day, you should be good.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Over 100 views but no replies? :stopitslime:

Just drop a link to a website, blog, etc that could help me out you neanderthals lol

The ADD

Old Master
Daps

Just drop a link to a website, blog, etc that could help me out you neanderthals lol
Well you laid out how you want to work out and then asked for suggestions. Kind of confusing.

It's not people don't want to help but when you ask what you should eat it or how much you should sleep you expect at lot.

Any advice or consultation requires context, information and then feedback. We don't know what you currently do which would help people suggest a course of action.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well you laid out how you want to work out and then asked for suggestions. Kind of confusing.

It's not people don't want to help but when you ask what you should eat it or how much you should sleep you expect at lot.

Any advice or consultation requires context, information and then feedback. We don't know what you currently do which would help people suggest a course of action.

I laid out how I previously worked out years ago and how it didn't work out.

I'm asking for info from scratch

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Did you follow the meal plan down to the tee?

Not at all. I cut out sodas and only drank water. I used some of the meals just to try something different. I mainly just made sure I was getting 300-500 calories over maintenance everyday and .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not at all. I cut out sodas and only drank water. I used some of the meals just to try something different. I mainly just made sure I was getting 300-500 calories over maintenance everyday and .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

Yeah sodas is a big part of what I eat (just that I eat out a lot and it's part of the combo). So even with your modifications, the 12 week change was drastic?

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yeah sodas is a big part of what I eat (just that I eat out a lot and it's part of the combo). So even with your modifications, the 12 week change was drastic?
Yea it was. I was pretty skinny before I started and once I was done I had people commenting on the change. Make sure you're technique is on point early on.

I think what's really effective about that program is you're building strength with the low rep range weeks and size during the high rep range weeks.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

Strong lifts.......

Eat a lot..
Most people underestimate how much food you need to eat initially just for muscles to grow......

And drink even more water. I mean gallons of water....
At least 1 1/2 - 2 per day. Get a water purifier.

Water is probably the most neglected part of building muscles, A Lot of people fail to account for......

After 3 months of strong lifts report back here and @ me......

Finally take biweekly progress pictures.....stay off the mother fukking scale....body weight fluctuates between a certain body set point, so it's not a good measurement of progression......

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea it was. I was pretty skinny before I started and once I was done I had people commenting on the change. Make sure you're technique is on point early on.

I think what's really effective about that program is you're building strength with the low rep range weeks and size during the high rep range weeks.

1. For the 12 week program, around what week did you see the improvement?

2. Did you continue the program after 12 weeks or vary it somehow?