I'm a member of Ohio's Haitian community. The misinformation is hurting our kids

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus

"Let us stop this together and educate one another so we can all live together as one family. Because I'm tired of this back and forth. It's not worth it. It's not needed," Sophia Pierrelus said.​

As if it wasn't enough to say it once, Donald Trump repeated his baseless claims from the presidential debate with Kamala Harris that Haitians in Springfield are eating cats and dogs.

But these are not just hurtful rumors picked up by a former president, current presidential candidate and his pick for VP: Bomb threats have been called into Springfield City Hall since Trump and his running mate, JD Vance, decided to begin spewing their hateful lies.

What is true is that Ohio has a growing Haitian immigrant population. In Springfield, around 15,000 Haitians have arrived in a city of almost 60,000 since 2020 under the federal government's Temporary Protected Status program fleeing gangs and economic insecurity.

We reached out to Sophia Pierrelus, a Haitian American small business owner and the director of a non-profit in Columbus where she advocates for the Haitian community in Columbus helping them find resources and become civically engaged.

Tell me about the Haitian community in Ohio​

It's growing a lot. In Columbus, we have about 20,000 Haitians. Springfield 15-20,000 Haitians. We have been here for a while, but the influx of Haitians started to grow after COVID, where many of them came in. Some came with humanitarian parole, some as visitors, some at the border because our country is going through a lot of stability - because of the lack of security and employment.

I am always asked, "Why Ohio?" When you come to a place where everything is expensive − and you find out about a place where the cost of living is less expensive − of course, you want a place that's better for your family. People are also bringing their family members here. Haitians are resilient and they love to work. They're here because they want to work, have economic stability and provide for their family.

How had your community reacted to the perpetuation of this stupid and mean trope about immigrants?​

They are angry. They are very upset. Very hurt. They're afraid, especially the ones in Springfield. They've been telling me about accusations of them eating pets. And then there's the children.

A viral rumor with serious consequences:'Nobody's eating cats. Nobody's eating dogs.' John Legend says Haitian immigrants deserve grace

I know a woman whose daughter hasn't gone to school since this happened because at the school the kids are asking her about eating cats and dogs. They're afraid to go into the street because they feel they may be attacked.

What do you want people to know about the Haitian community in Ohio?​

We are hardworking individuals. I have been here for so long. I am a professional. I have a degree in management and a degree in physical therapy. I find myself caring and loving passionate about the community at large, not only the Haitians.

We contribute to this country. We are very independent. Haitians are very independent and own their own businesses and they respect people. We may have a couple that don't follow the laws but we have that everywhere - in every demographic. We are loving and we respect everyone.

And our cuisine is exquisite.

Is there anything else you want to say, anything else you want people to know that I haven't asked you about?​

I want everyone to be at peace with each other and try to understand each other. Meet us halfway, we'll meet you halfway.

The children are suffering. Let us stop this together and educate one another so we can all live together as one family. Because I'm tired of this back and forth. It's not worth it. It's not needed.