If you own a next-gen system (PS5/XBSX/XBSS) is it worth buying the next-gen version on cross gen games if you got a "regular" set up?

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I'm not playing my PS5 on a 60 inch 4k TV with a sound system, etc, etc.

I've downloaded the PS5 versions of a couple of my PS4 games, but, barely noticed a difference.

I got WWE 2k22 on PS4 and blew money buying the PS5 version because it "felt" slow only to notice no difference (the game is poorly optimized, in general--great game, tho).

The next gen version of Fortnite and Guardians of the Galaxy just play a bit smoother and have haptic feedbike.

I'm thinking of just buying the PS4 God of War: Rag.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
its always worth it just for the loading times alone, not to mention the countless other features.

Actual first party games will be even that much more optimized

Also a lot of PS5 games are smaller in size than the PS4 games to due to the compression method.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Don’t waste your money. I haven’t played a single “enhanced” game yet that would have been worth buying if you already own the previous gen version. It always feels like a frame rate boost at the most. Loading times are better but are you really going to re-purchase a game for load screens to go away 5 seconds faster? What you’ve experienced already with downloading PS5 versions of PS4 games is what it’s like across the board

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The next gen version of Fortnite and Guardians of the Galaxy just play a bit smoother and have haptic feedbike.

One of the biggest differences is the load time. In the case of PS5, you barely have to wait for a few seconds while the loading can take up to a minute on the PS4. Other improvements include better draw distance, improved texture, and character details, and slightly improved shadow quality.
  • 60fps 1440 vs 1080 30fps
  • Ray Tracing
  • Dualsense support
  • 3d Audio
None of those things need the latest nice tv to see. I mean, why buy a next gen system if you don’t care about using any of the features? If its about saving money run the PS4 back

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
  • 60fps 1440 vs 1080 30fps
  • Ray Tracing
  • Dualsense support
  • 3d Audio
None of those things need the latest nice tv to see. I mean, why buy a next gen system if you don’t care about using any of the features? If its about saving money run the PS4 back

My point--without saying it--I think these PS4/PS5 type games are holding the PS5 games back

Funny enough, my PS4 broke down AS SOON as I got my 5 :mjlol:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
If resolution isn’t a factor than if anything the loading times would be the main difference for cross-gen games unless it’s like a 2K situation where the next-gen version is actually a different game than the older version

The whole concept of buying a PS4 version of a game on the PS5 is so whack tho. I bet there’s a bunch of kids who got PS5 consoles for Christmas with a bunch of PS4 games :mjcry:

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
If resolution isn’t a factor than if anything the loading times would be the main difference for cross-gen games unless it’s like a 2K situation where the next-gen version is actually a different game than the older version

The whole concept of buying a PS4 version of a game on the PS5 is so whack tho. I bet there’s a bunch of kids who got PS5 consoles for Christmas with a bunch of PS4 games :mjcry:

I'm still not over paying $70 for a video game plus the microtransactions.

• Dap
Reactions: B86