If you have a very old house, what are things you can do to make it stable?

matthew2777

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lets say you have house from 1920, and it looks pretty bad and may have been cheaply made...but you dont really care about looks, you just want it to be safe and healthy and livable ...what are the main things to ensure you have a house that wont fall apart?

BlvdBrawler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Get an inspection done on the plumbing the frame, the insulation, the electrical, etc....

You'll probably have to put a lot into it.

Or you can just tear it down and build a new house on the land.

matthew2777

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Get an inspection done on the plumbing the frame, the insulation, the electrical, etc....

You'll probably have to put a lot into it.

Or you can just tear it down and build a new house on the land.

tearing it down is not an option, that alone would be 10k

but we have fixed the plumbing and electrical ...i just dont want the house to fall down one day during an earthquake lol

BlvdBrawler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
tearing it down is not an option, that alone would be 10k

but we have fixed the plumbing and electrical ...i just dont want the house to fall down one day during an earthquake lol

Maybe sell it then and buy a newer house somewhere else?

matthew2777

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Maybe sell it then and buy a newer house somewhere else?

hmm seems the only way, so just put new siding and new roof, and better curb appeal and sell it?
might take a few years to afford all that tho lol

house is under a lean tho...shud i do all this work without a permit...pay ppl under the table lol

Dada

Face===>Heel
Daps
You can do it piece by piece, you don't have to reno all at once. You want to have it inspected and make sure the foundation is good. Get the roof inspected, make sure there is no leak there or in the ground (water can run off in a way where it can collect around the house and seep into the basement..which is bad). You want to look for cracks in the walls and ceilings which can indicate instability. If it were me, and I've looked for homes made during the time you said, I'd do foundation, roof, electricity (if it needs rewiring) and plumbing, first. Later, furnace, water heater, floors, windows, fixtures..etc. If you have to live in it while you're doing it, then obviously water heater, furnace, and plumbing have to be in place.

Everything you can do yourself..do it. It'll be cheaper and it's not hard to learn a lot of it. Electric, putting in a new furnace (not hard, but not something you want to be wrong about..you could kill everyone) and similar jobs you can hire someone else to do.