If they came for the hood...would the rest of us avert our eyes?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Over the last few years I have had a creeping feeling about how divided the Black community has become. I mean, every community has class divides, but I find even supposedly 'liberal' middle and upper class Blacks demonizing the 'hood' or poorer urban areas in terms as bad or worst than right wingers.

Granted, I am not excusing the sad violence, family issues, lack of focus on education, etc. that characterizes many poorer urban communities. But I have a sinking feeling that if someone, be it the government or a group, decided to "solve" the urban Black problem by essentially writing them off and indirectly trying to destroy them (chemicals, social control, sterilization) a lot of Blacks wouldn't do shyt. They might even celebrate claiming that now only they, the "good Blacks" are left, things will get better.

Of course, they would come after the "good Blacks" if they got rid of the underclass.

I feel they are laying the ground work for something with supposed studies claiming violence, crime, etc. are the result of cultural or genetic factors they claim can't be fixed. Would we rise together or fall divided?

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
That's how it works for any group to be honest. Even on this site you see brehs, when discussing about Trump or "alt-right" (that is really extreme-right), that as long as they come for "the Muslims" or "the illegal immigrants" or "the Mexicans" etc...they wouldn't care one bit, the reasonning being "well it doesn't touch the Black community, so why do I care".

Thing is you can set the division at any level that you want : it can be racial (as in the above example), geographic, social (in both cases, that's what you're talkning with the distinction between the "hood" and "middle-upper class" Black people). People set the divisions that allow themselves to not have to worry about those who are being "solved", in order to look the other way. It's happened all the time, everywhere.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
That's how it works for any group to be honest. Even on this site you see brehs, when discussing about Trump or "alt-right" (that is really extreme-right), that as long as they come for "the Muslims" or "the illegal immigrants" or "the Mexicans" etc...they wouldn't care one bit, the reasonning being "well it doesn't touch the Black community, so why do I care".

Thing is you can set the division at any level that you want : it can be racial (as in the above example), geographic, social (in both cases, that's what you're talkning with the distinction between the "hood" and "middle-upper class" Black people). People set the divisions that allow themselves to not have to worry about those who are being "solved", in order to look the other way. It's happened all the time, everywhere.

Yeah but it is usually false in the end. Once someone sees they can get away with taking out one group, they start going after others. In pre-Nazi Germany, the anti-semites got going by hating on the poorer, usually higher crime East European Jewish refugees. Some local German Jews, eager to look patriotic threw them under the bus. In the end, it didn't matter.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Yeah but it is usually false in the end. Once someone sees they can get away with taking out one group, they start going after others. In pre-Nazi Germany, the anti-semites got going by hating on the poorer, usually higher crime East European Jewish refugees. Some local German Jews, eager to look patriotic threw them under the bus. In the end, it didn't matter.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, where you set the "division" can and always does vary, and those who threw others under the bus end up under the bus too :yeshrug:

One

Moreese Bickham with the pistol
Daps
I have a sinking feeling that if someone, be it the government or a group, decided to "solve" the urban Black problem by essentially writing them off and indirectly trying to destroy them (chemicals, social control, sterilization)
You state this as if it's not something that's been taking place. Flint Michigan highlighted this instance.