I watched Blue Valentine tonight...

One4Deuce

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Minnesota
I thought the movie was great but I honestly don't know that I'd ever be able to watch it again, it was emotionally incredibly draining. Great performances by Gosling and Williams. Like I said, great movie but I don't think I'll be watching it again any time soon. Anyone else feel this way?

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
thats the EXACT way i felt....too much feel for one movie....:wow:

me AND my girl saw this when it first dropped....both our souls burned slow.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Been meaning to check sooner or later

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I guess it's lack of (my own) romantic relationships, and seeing it alone, it was heavy, and I was affected by the movie, but I didn't think it was that depressing, or emotionally fukked up. It was more realistic portrayal, maybe thats why it was hard to stomach for some, things like socioeconomics, class, alcoholism, emotional immaturity, complacency, there were so many topics the movie touched on, related to marriage, and relationships.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
co sign @re'up about the topics it touched on.

but dude didnt even know if that ... franky . .. was his and rode it out

she sshoulda been a doc, but settled for nurse and he was happy with his wife and kid ugh sad movie

Last edited by a moderator:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
He refused to grow as a person, whether it was conscious, or as I think, unconsciously, he was the same guy she fell in love with, and that didn't work for her anymore, and thats on her too, because she married the guy....but, the dude was a burnout, but a good father...however, as a man, as a husband, he was immature, and too self centered/self involved to notice it in himself. Michelle Williams had probably checked out of the relationships years before the movie takes place, she was over it, she jus didn't know how to end it. Ebert had a great line, regarding the movie, as far as Michelle Williams position, 'He loves me as much as he always did/he loves me the same as he always did....see the difference'? I disagree, Williams was on her way to becoming a doctor, or a promotion, a new job, and Dean was on his way to more 9:00 AM beers, and she realized she hated him for it.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just watched it for my first time and this movie just :wow:

SMH, some dude over here said Ryan Gossling is overrated but he has been really smart in his career for choosing under-the-radar roles that show his tremendous range and ability. He seems like he aspires to be a true "artist" as opposed to a movie star. This guy is one to watch.

Bob Loblaw

Superstar
Daps
I watched it last year and really liked it but it didn't settle in until I watched it again last Fri night while drinking vodka. Movie took a lot more out of me the second time around and figuring out that his daughter wasn't his really :mindblown:

Tough to walk away from someone when all you want is that person but ya gotta do it. Like dude said how much rejection is he supposed to take? Even though she initiated it I'm sure a part of him is proud that he walked away

My nikka Dean :to:

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I guess it's lack of (my own) romantic relationships, and seeing it alone, it was heavy, and I was affected by the movie, but I didn't think it was that depressing, or emotionally fukked up. It was more realistic portrayal, maybe thats why it was hard to stomach for some, things like socioeconomics, class, alcoholism, emotional immaturity, complacency, there were so many topics the movie touched on, related to marriage, and relationships.

And, you're missing the important part in that movie from what I've noticed that they were both from difficult childhoods, they didn't have a role model for good communication. I think they both were in a lot of emotional pain based on their original families.

Bless't

Living the dream
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Probably the realest and most accurate portrayal of a flailing relationship I've ever seen on camera.

Gosling cant act? Smh.:shaq2:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I just watched it for my first time and this movie just :wow:

SMH, some dude over here said Ryan Gossling is overrated but he has been really smart in his career for choosing under-the-radar roles that show his tremendous range and ability. He seems like he aspires to be a true "artist" as opposed to a movie star. This guy is one to watch.

yes he is :whew: