I ran my first 5K race today....I need advice

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I trained for 5 weeks and today I ran a 10.55 in my first 5K race.

So here is my problem, I am a gym rat, mostly weight training, but I hate running. Prior to this race my cardio came from jump roping. I used to do about 7 minute intervals X 3 before my workouts or between sets.

I can run steadily for about half a mile, but after that I have to take a walk break which is slowing down my time. Do any of you runners have a strategy for eliminating the need to take walk breaks?

I would really appreciate any feedback. My goal is to run a 5K in under 25 minutes or better.

Ghost Like Swayze

Giving your girl private pottery classes :umad:
Daps
Reppin
AfterLife
what @OH SOHH TRILL said.

Couch 2 5k is the truth and pretty addictive.My cardio game was trash but now I'm about to start Week 6 (10min run, 5 min walk, 10min run) and I'm having a great time doing it.

Never thought I could get so much enjoyment out of just running.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
couch 2 5k.

Running is like pullups. You can be strong/fit as bull but still suck at it unless you constantly work at it.

Real talk. I was like :beli::why: when getting passed by old white people and chunky white girls. My only solace was, "Yeah, but they can't bench 225 8 times. "

I definitely learned some humility.

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Unlike weights, gains in running come a lot quicker.

5K in 25 minute is about an 8 MPH pace.

What I found works for me is to run intervals of my target pace (in your case 8 MPH) to failure and one minute walking rests. After a few a miles I up the running pace .5mph after each minute walk till I'm :dead:

Now I'm by no means an expert so there may be more efficient ways of getting to your goals.

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
Just ran Susan g komen 5k in 20:43. I think that's 6:40 per mile. I think I finished top 10. About 200 people.

Best advice I can give you is to breathe from your core. I don't like running but I'm decent at it. When I learned to control breath and heart rate I got better. As for my training. I do everything. Basketball, rock climbing, insanity, tibata, yoga, stretch and running I do the least.

I just know that I can push my body to its limits for 20 minutes no matter how much it hurts. Effort is the one thing you can control.

Last edited:

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just ran Susan g komen 5k in 20:43. I think that's 6:40 per mile. I think I finished top 10. About 200 people.

Best advice I can give you is to breathe from your core. I don't like running but I'm decent at it. When I learned to control breath and heart rate I got better. As for my training. I do everything. Basketball, rock climbing, insanity, tibata, yoga, stretch and running I do the least.

I just know that I can push my body to its limits for 20 minutes no matter how much it hurts. Effort is the one thing you can control.
i hate running i feel your pain

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
I wanna start running
Any tips

I play basketball but I know running will humble me lol

And I don't wanna lose muscle
@The ADD

morris

Superstar
Daps
I trained for 5 weeks and today I ran a 10.55 in my first 5K race.

So here is my problem, I am a gym rat, mostly weight training, but I hate running. Prior to this race my cardio came from jump roping. I used to do about 7 minute intervals X 3 before my workouts or between sets.

I can run steadily for about half a mile, but after that I have to take a walk break which is slowing down my time. Do any of you runners have a strategy for eliminating the need to take walk breaks?

I would really appreciate any feedback. My goal is to run a 5K in under 25 minutes or better.
Looks like you're working on speed, I can't help you there too much but I will put my two cents in.

I used to get very tired as well. What really helped me, believe it or not, was the treadmill. It forces you to run at a consistent pace. You should set a time frame on the treadmill of 30 to 40 minutes. Start off at a speed of 3.0 or 4.0 and gradually work your way up. Not many people can run at 8.0 for 20 minutes non stop.

From there you will learn to control your breathing. I mostly just breathe in through my nose I don't take deep breaths through the mouth ... you will definitely Gas out very very quickly.

I would do one day on the treadmill, and every other day in the park. You want to be able to convey what you doing the treadmill with the street. But I recommend starting on the treadmill because it forces you to run at a cinsistent speed. You can dog in the real world and slow down tremendously.

Once you get your speed up on the treadmill see if you could translate it onto the street and see if you can reach your goal. Hope that helps.