I need to buy a Macbook Pro

D.C Young

TMC
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm in the market for a Macbook Pro with a i7 processor, 8gb memory and 256 GB SSD.

What's the most cost effective way of buying this?

Like for example, if I come across a Macbook with a 4gb memory (not a 8gb)

would it be cheaper for me to just buy that Macbook and just add the rest of the memory myself (if thats possible)

And right now, I'm looking at refurbished Macbooks on Walmart.com

p.s this computer will be used for computer programming classes, these were specific specs required by my teacher

Last edited:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
256GB is simply not enough. I have 500 GB SSD, and I'm not finding that sufficient to be honest.

for current MBP's the HDD and RAM cannot be easily upgraded I don't believe. and if you were able to upgrade them, you have to buy propiertary apple parts to do so which ain't gonna be cheap.

BVII

Pro
Daps
256GB is simply not enough. I have 500 GB SSD, and I'm not finding that sufficient to be honest.

for current MBP's the HDD and RAM cannot be easily upgraded I don't believe. and if you were able to upgrade them, you have to buy propiertary apple parts to do so which ain't gonna be cheap.
256GB is more than enough for most people, unless he plans on hoarding files

D.C Young

TMC
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I'm buying this computer specifically for computer programming classes

they were specific specs required by my teacher

D.C Young

TMC
Daps
Reppin
NULL
256GB is more than enough for most people, unless he plans on hoarding files

I'm buying this computer specifically for computer programming classes

they were specific specs required by my teacher

Jazzy Jay

The Gawd
Daps
Reppin
The A
Im pretty sure them ram is soldered on. Dont plan on upgrading, just find one that has the specs standard.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Apple Refurbished is the way to go man. If you don't see any model that meets your needs check back often as the stock updates every few days.
Apple Refurbished is a great option, but there are some good deals out there if you know how to look.

There was a Core i7 Mid 2012 MBP with 8GB of RAM installed for about $360 on eBay. No heavy scratches or dents either.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Apple Refurbished is a great option, but there are some good deals out there if you know how to look.

There was a Core i7 Mid 2012 MBP with 8GB of RAM installed for about $360 on eBay. No heavy scratches or dents either.
That's true. I remember feeling a lil sore after I bought a 2015 MBP with i5 and a 256GB SSD for $1050 then seeing an refurbed 2015 MBP with i7 and a 500GB SSD for the same price. eBay's just the Wild West sometimes though, and refurb comes with a 1 year warranty that can be extended.