I Need a Leg Routine Brehs

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Alright, i'm not happy with my leg routine brehs, I need help.

This is what i'm doing at the moment:
ATG Squats 5x5
Leg Press 5x5
I used to do calf raises with a bar on my back tip-toe style for 10x3 but the weight caused lower back pain. Considering throwing in some jump rope instead.
Also used to do leg extensions but that move feels unnatural for me.
Weighted Lunges to end it... 3 sets to failure on each.

What should I add/remove? Please show/link the variant you use of an exercise.

I'm happy with how my legs look, just not the workout.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
More sets/reps and progressively increase weight
Stiff leg deads

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Do squat variations.

Front squat/hack squat/jefferson squat/box squat/jump squat/goblet squat/split squat......I do the basic squat almost every leg day and throw in another or 2 to hit different areas of the leg.

To go heavier on calves I use the leg press machine and seated calf raise machine. I used to use the Smith machine with a calf block, but a couple times when I piled on the weight (4-5 plates a side for me) it led to my back seizing up so I quit that shyt.

If leg extensions are unnatural or cause ANY pain, cut them out completely. I used to get some pain in my left knee on leg days until I cut them out, now I'm pain-free. I replaced them with more hack squats to hit my quads...much better.

And like ADD said, stiff leg deads are a good movement for the hams. Curls as well if you aren't doing those.

HarlemsOwn

RIP Fresh
Daps
this my leg workout

shyt kinda basic and routine

leg extension 3 sets, 15-20 reps
Squats 5 sets, 10-12 reps
hack squats 5 sets, 10-12 reps
leg press 5 sets 10 - 12 reps
leg curls 3 sets, 10 -12 reps
walking lunges 3 sets, 10-12 reps

to be honest tho

i switch it up each week between front squats and back squats

i also switch up hack squats with jeffereson squats

and switch walking luges with stiff leg deadlifts

i rotate every week and all that

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
U dont need a long or complicated routine.... but u should make sure your routine covers a couple of things

1 it should be balanced... for every quad movement you do you should do a hamstring movement. Your legs are no different from your arms, you need to keep shyt balanced.

2 it should address any postural issues FIRST... then growth later... u nikkas with all them certs sitting all day probably have anterior pelvic tilt/ upper + lower cross syndrome... look that shyt up and look up the stretches and exercises to fix that before you herniate a lumbar disc

3 it should be frequent....

I do this 2x/week...

3 x back squats
3 x Romanian deadlifts
3 x body weight calf raises to failure (i.e. first set mite be 70 reps)

My legs are SWOLLEN brehs. Im gonna need all new pants next year

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
I'm good with the aesthetic/size of my legs. I just want a better workout. I feel like the leg press/squats hit the exact same muscle groups in the legs, same with the lunges. Think I might throw in the stiff leg and attempt to skip rope at the end of my workouts.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Squat
RDL / SLDL
Leg Press / Lung / Leg Ext
Leg Curl variant
Calf crap

Deadlift
Front Squat / Hack squat machine
Leg Curl variant
Leg Press / Lung / Leg Ext
Calf crap

If only upper body was this simple

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
I've been going heavy on the leg press but it felt pointless. Will keep heavy on squats and go for burn leg press.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I'm good with the aesthetic/size of my legs. I just want a better workout. I feel like the leg press/squats hit the exact same muscle groups in the legs, same with the lunges. Think I might throw in the stiff leg and attempt to skip rope at the end of my workouts.
Constantly going in for heavy 5x5 workouts isn't good. Basically, your body has adjusted to the 5x5 workouts and you aren't growing.
I would suggest that you do non-5x5 routines, but you can still do the same exercises.

You have to mix in low-weight/high-rep sets days along with very-high weight/very-low rep set days, and also do 5x5 too if that's what you like. Change it up every couple of weeks. High rep sets is like doing 15 to 20 reps. Low rep sets is like doing 1 to 3 reps.

For an example, I'll tell you what I do. Weight resistance may not work for you. For low-weight/high rep leg workouts, I start with a 105 lbs./10 reps squat for warmup. Then, I'll do 135 lbs/20 reps squats. I do that for 6 or 7 sets. IIn the beginning, it's challenging but doable. From set 4, 5, 6 and 7, the last couple of reps becomes harder and harder to complete.
A medium-heavy squat day is like this. I start with 135 lbs./10 reps for warm up. Then, I'll do 155 lbs./10 reps for a second warm-up. I'll do 225 lbs./10 reps in set 3. I'll do 245 lbs./10 reps in set 4. I'll do 265 lbs/8 reps in set 5. I'll do 285 lbs/4 to 6 reps in set 6. I'll do 305 lbs/2 to 3 reps in set 7. I'll attempt 315 lbs/1 rep. You can see it gets progressively harder. And depending on how I'm feeling, I can complete more or less reps in the later sets.
They are just examples just to get away from the 5x5 routine. I'm not saying you will become the next Ronnie Coleman.

Last edited:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been going heavy on the leg press but it felt pointless. Will keep heavy on squats and go for burn leg press.

I feel the same way. I been going hard and i don't see any changes. Chicken legs run in my family :to:

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
I'm blessed with some impressive thighs and hamstrings. My calfs are pretty good for a negro. So i'm asking this based on "feeling".

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
500 Jump Rope Rotations(Finish all 500 in 3 sets)
Barbell Squats 135 pounds 100 reps(Finish all 100 in 3 sets)
Bodyweight lunges 100 reps(One leg at a time finish 100 reps in 3 sets)
Squat jumps 100(finish in 3 sets)
Calf raises 100 reps(finish in 3 sets)
Leg extensions 100 reps(blah blah blah)

shyt will have you walking like the tin man for the next two days....

J.Pinkman

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
500 Jump Rope Rotations(Finish all 500 in 3 sets)
Barbell Squats 135 pounds 100 reps(Finish all 100 in 3 sets)
Bodyweight lunges 100 reps(One leg at a time finish 100 reps in 3 sets)
Squat jumps 100(finish in 3 sets)
Calf raises 100 reps(finish in 3 sets)
Leg extensions 100 reps(blah blah blah)

shyt will have you walking like the tin man for the next two days....
I don't understand why people so so many reps when it comes to legs. I mean you wouldn't do 100 bicep curls would you?