‘I lost everything’: Black women get evicted more than anyone else. A looming eviction crisis will m

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
these salaries are mind blowing, but when u factor in not receiving any benefits, retirement, PTO and sick time, then u quickly come back down to earth.

also, on this flyer, I dont' see anything about CNA's making $90 a n hour. those are respiratory therapist pulling down that $93/hr.

the barriers of entry to become a CNA is pretty low. it's like less than a year course to become one. they mostly take vitals.
CNA gigs are kind of like a trap for poverty imo, unless you have support or only do it part time.

The vast majority of workers have shifs around the clock, 8-12 hour shifts for slightly above minimum wage. 5-7 days a week. Also its a physically demanding and taxing job. There's legit no upward mobility from that position. And going back to school to upskill is easier said than done.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In Michigan, at-least 3 of my parents tenants were able to apply for CERA Covid Emergency rental assistance. But, the rent ain't nowhere in those ranges --- and we own homes.

CERA paid the tenants past due rent and up to 4 months in advance. The check came directly to us. They also included assistance to the tenants directly, like paying their electric and water bill.

I have to say this too, some of my tenants (personal/not parents) really was betting on that Covid no rental payment thing. I had to let them know they need to be proactive than that. I let them know if they couldn't pay the rent, they would need to start making plans on moving. Cause, I'm not like my Momma, I won't listen to sob stories -- I will evict you.

Like my parents, my rentals are homes I own outright, but I still need my money for taxes, maintenance, etc.
Thousands of tenants nationwide have applied for ERA funds only to have property managers and landlords reject the funds and boot them out.
Hundreds of landlords have initiated eviction proceedings and even set-out proceedings to push the organizations that distribute ERA fund to move quicker - some with advice from greedy legal counsel.

The bourgeois class of bloodsucking landlords are, if nothing else, so shameless that they’d make Adam Smith blush.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
these salaries are mind blowing, but when u factor in not receiving any benefits, retirement, PTO and sick time, then u quickly come back down to earth.

also, on this flyer, I dont' see anything about CNA's making $90 a n hour. those are respiratory therapist pulling down that $93/hr.

the barriers of entry to become a CNA is pretty low. it's like less than a year course to become one. they mostly take vitals.
nurses get bread, but the nurse assistants are not seeing crazy money like that. u think she was getting paid like $50/hr or some shyt?

Yeah, I talked to him about this last night. Said the CNAs were getting 45-55 when he was on that stint

And that was straight time. Since there wasn't shyt else to do there they all ate off overtime too

Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Instead - it’s two adults that now don’t qualify for a massive chunk of the housing in a given area, regardless of income. Again, i provide legal defense for tenants every day - so I’m very familiar.

Exactly - and even if you do pay it off, unless you can get the court to seal the record, the Plaintiff to dismiss the case, and the credit agencies to drop the charges - you’re screwed. A lot of states, like Ohio, automatically put an eviction notice in your credit report - even if the landlord dismisses the case due to error.

You’re kidding, right?

Right, so I’m going to slow this down for you for a second because you’re a bit of a slow guy.

I’m an attorney. One of the areas I do a substantial amount of work in is landlord-tenant law. I provide legal representation for tenants facing evictions, discrimination, and administrative issues if they’re receiving HUD funding. So what I’m stating is what actually happens, not what a random internet user can glean from a tenants union website. To start: there’s no requirement for your landlord to allow you to cure the late payment issue, unless there’s been a pattern and practice of them accepting late or partial payments, generally over the course of several years. So once you’re served with your notice to leave the premises, it’s up to the landlord or property manager to accept the amount in full (plus late fees) or for them to reject the rental payment and file a complaint for forcible entry and detainer.

The “chances” you get to cure are up the landlord. That’s it. And commercial landlords - even with the U.S. federal government giving out millions in ERA funds with no oversight to landlords with tenants even slightly behind - are not particularly charitable or flexible.
Just need a larger deposit which is easier to get with 2 incomes.

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
I said to Myself it has to be more to this story. And then I saw this post
giphy.gif

She applied for emergency rental assistance from King County. Her landlords received $19,792.93 of back rent, legal fees and court charges – every penny she owed.

^^^^Thats a quote in the article too. So it clearly wasn't just 4 days unless thats new slang for 8 months. Thats how long she wasn't paying rent while they footed the bill. Article should be 8 month and 4 days.

Edit: The eviction process took 8mo. They started eviction after being 4 days late.
shyt is wild. Just a sad situation all around. Hope she get what she needs for her son sake.

You know who controls you by those you cant criticize. You nikkas be safe tho, superman is in here.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Instead - it’s two adults that now don’t qualify for a massive chunk of the housing in a given area, regardless of income. Again, i provide legal defense for tenants every day - so I’m very familiar.

Exactly - and even if you do pay it off, unless you can get the court to seal the record, the Plaintiff to dismiss the case, and the credit agencies to drop the charges - you’re screwed. A lot of states, like Ohio, automatically put an eviction notice in your credit report - even if the landlord dismisses the case due to error.

You’re kidding, right?

Right, so I’m going to slow this down for you for a second because you’re a bit of a slow guy.

I’m an attorney. One of the areas I do a substantial amount of work in is landlord-tenant law. I provide legal representation for tenants facing evictions, discrimination, and administrative issues if they’re receiving HUD funding. So what I’m stating is what actually happens, not what a random internet user can glean from a tenants union website. To start: there’s no requirement for your landlord to allow you to cure the late payment issue, unless there’s been a pattern and practice of them accepting late or partial payments, generally over the course of several years. So once you’re served with your notice to leave the premises, it’s up to the landlord or property manager to accept the amount in full (plus late fees) or for them to reject the rental payment and file a complaint for forcible entry and detainer.

The “chances” you get to cure are up the landlord. That’s it. And commercial landlords - even with the U.S. federal government giving out millions in ERA funds with no oversight to landlords with tenants even slightly behind - are not particularly charitable or flexible.

Over the course of my career I’ve been a property manager with a 100+ tenants and an HOA manager with 10+ Associations and 1000+ homeowners. I’ve spent more than enough hours in court with tenants who were getting evicted and with HOA members who were behind on their dues. And I’ve also helped people avoid eviction.

Last time I checked you became an attorney within the last year or 2. So don’t try to hit me with that my dads a lawyer shyt. You don’t have the amount of experience that you’re touting.

Coli posts don’t count.

I’m going to go with the source that I cited and my experience in the field and not a random internet user like you.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Sidenote
Any of you dudes who live in Seattle what is it like and were are the nice affordable spots at?

Daps
She was paying almost $2,500 a month for four years straight. Then the first time she knew she was going to be late by four days, she went and asked the landlord and they went straight to eviction?! That's crazy!
Probably didn't raise her rent because she was already paying above market

I got nothing against renting but I'm not renting a home and trimming hedges, mowing the lawn and all that crap off of my own money along with paying rent ..... nah

She should have been looking for something cheaper or some type of mortgage assistance program to get her own house, instead of spending her money on up keep of a property that wasn't hers

I never understood renting a house. Feel like renting an apartment is a better deal because it's cheaper and you don't have any responsibilities (especially if the leasing company is good).

If you don't need a ton of space, it makes way more sense. House renting, you're dealing with individuals that may or may not know what they're doing and you're likely on the hook for handling more shyt....plus you pay more.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
You should make a tell all thread when you get the chance. I'd love to hear different tad bits.

I seconded this. As a landlord and the daughter of parents who have had many rental properties all my life.

@EndDomination I would love to hear more and about what we can do.

Also, maybe I can give you insight on Black communities and Black landlords in areas like Detriot, Flint and Saginaw in Michigan.

Because, speaking to the ones I personally know, it's been hard on the Black landlords as well.

Also, Black landlords are the last to raise rent -- and the first to be left with extreme damage, no payment -- and issues from tenants of every race.

Last edited:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
@EndDomination
Passed the Bar Exam! Free Daps for ALL

Is this you?

How long have you been an attorney for sir?

Cuz you appear to be making an appeal to authority using yourself as the authority :russ:

When you passed the bar less than a year ago.

The audacity.

You can work for a firm without having passed the bar. Many young lawyers do it while they are studying. They work under the supervision of a licensed lawyer.

I was pre-law for two years in undergrad -- and interned at a Black law firm in Atlanta.

So, a law school graduate just waiting to pass the bar can do a lot under the supervision of a firm or attorney.

Last edited:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I never understood renting a house. Feel like renting an apartment is a better deal because it's cheaper and you don't have any responsibilities (especially if the leasing company is good).

If you don't need a ton of space, it makes way more sense. House renting, you're dealing with individuals that may or may not know what they're doing and you're likely on the hook for handling more shyt....plus you pay more.

In the Midwest, especially Michigan -- most of the rentals are homes. So, in homes there the landlord is still responsible for issues and upkeep. As they should be.

There a not a lot of apartments complexes like that.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.

You’re kidding, right?

Breh you been dropping some serious knowledge in this thread. Had no idea how bad the system was when it came to evictions