‘I lost everything’: Black women get evicted more than anyone else. A looming eviction crisis will m

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
This mess is getting out of control.

I do think many landlords are trying to increase rent because many of these tenants are long-time renters and want them out anyway.

I know 2-3 tenants my parents have I would love to do this too. They really think they own the homes -- and been in them long (15-20 years) enough to have purchased their own home. They pay late every month, rude and just shytty tenants in general.

When we want to do updates, they want to chime in on choices in paint colors, kitchen cabinets and appliances... NAH. Then they complain they don't like this or that in terms of updates. Well, it's not your house. So, I get it -- and understand both sides.

Or the landlord has been wanting to raise the rent and this gives them a chance -- as they can say it's rental trends.

She was 4 days late, but some landlords are worried it will go further -- and then they get no payment.

Some people will abandon your rental -- and leave all the ish they don't want. Damages all through the house. Then it's messy and nasty -- forcing you to rent a dumpster and hire someone to come in and clean it.

All in all, this is wrong -- and something needs to be done.

Last edited:

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
You see it. There has to be some deference paid to actual statistics and an understanding than what is presented, since what is presented is hard to sympathize with and makes it harder for any call to action to take place, among other issues. I don't see this problem being fixed because there are too many people who want to have their cake and eat it too: they want to live in a world where they're at the top and better than certain groups all the while they are, statistically and realistically, at the near or absolute bottom. They can't have it both ways.
Yall need to quit falling for that propaganda yall see online and Twitter it's all fake bullshyt. Our black queens love the hell out of us.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
In Michigan, at-least 3 of my parents tenants were able to apply for CERA Covid Emergency rental assistance. But, the rent ain't nowhere in those ranges --- and we own homes.

CERA paid the tenants past due rent and up to 4 months in advance. The check came directly to us. They also included assistance to the tenants directly, like paying their electric and water bill.

I have to say this too, some of my tenants (personal/not parents) really was betting on that Covid no rental payment thing. I had to let them know they need to be proactive than that. I let them know if they couldn't pay the rent, they would need to start making plans on moving. Cause, I'm not like my Momma, I won't listen to sob stories -- I will evict you.

Like my parents, my rentals are homes I own outright, but I still need my money for taxes, maintenance, etc.

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
Yall need to quit falling for that propaganda yall see online and Twitter it's all fake bullshyt. Our black queens love the hell out of us.
That's the problem, I know it is fake bullshyt as do some others, but I and I'm sure many others have lost count where we have had to argue that such is fake bullshyt. People will accept a reality that makes them feel good or makes them feel as if they can stunt on someone over reality. If there was a shared and reasonable perception of the reality of the black population, held by people both within and out, there would be more outcry about the problems in the black community. Until there is, these problems will continue to occur, with people shrugging their shoulders at these problem because people will think they are not real or only occur in isolated instances.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
She should've got the hell out of the Bay after getting that GoFundMe bag of 14K. But instead blew it all in less than a year paying 3K a month in rent.
:francis:

Why Black Women Are More Likely to Face Eviction | KQED

ERIN: She and Stanley had nowhere to go. When they looked around at other housing in the Bay Area, everything was too expensive. Which is how they ended up in the hotel room at the Extended Stay.

After we first reported on Jean and Stanley’s story, people heard it on the radio and found their GoFundMe page. Close to $14,000 came in, a lot of it from strangers. But they burned through it in a matter of months.

JEAN: We're paying $805 a week here, and so that's depleted. Everything that we had from GoFundMe, that's depleted. Everything is gone, you know.

MOLLY: They were paying more than $3,000 a month for their room at the Extended Stay Hotel — that's more than most people pay for a mortgage. Jean told me she was shopping for a tent and thought about moving into her car. And she worried a lot about what would happen to both of them if they ended up on the street.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s crazy that on a site that CONSTANTLY tells men not to get married, how horrible marriage is for men but still judges a woman for not being married. Then takes the “independent, don’t need a man” quote from the fukking 90s and tries to attach it to this woman JUST because she’s black so they can find a reason for her to “deserve” this. smfh
:mjlol:
Make it make sense

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

this is gold

Unemployed GM

All Star
Daps
Mind you I'm not advocating black women get with any ol black man. Most of us dont have a 1 year plan,let alone a 5. And will have women lost at sea before throwing them overboard. But if a woman finds a knowledgeable black man she should cling to him. And consider becoming a sister wife if applicable.

:mjlol: This nicca here. The way he threw the last sentence on the end all casually.

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I represent tenants getting evicted every week.

Its absolutely brutal - and the lack of community response against exploitative landlords is key to the issue.

There should be immense pressure, both aimed at the landlords and at local government to ensure they behave.

If y'all could see eviction court every single morning you'd be sick.
You should make a tell all thread when you get the chance. I'd love to hear different tad bits.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A couple getting evicted is better because at least they've got 2 incomes to recover with, ideally.
Instead - it’s two adults that now don’t qualify for a massive chunk of the housing in a given area, regardless of income. Again, i provide legal defense for tenants every day - so I’m very familiar.
And if you get on eviction on your record you are fukked for the next 7 years unless you can pay that bytch off

I know from experience :francis:

You can still rent with one but prepared to go through hell in finding a place
Exactly - and even if you do pay it off, unless you can get the court to seal the record, the Plaintiff to dismiss the case, and the credit agencies to drop the charges - you’re screwed. A lot of states, like Ohio, automatically put an eviction notice in your credit report - even if the landlord dismisses the case due to error.
She a single mom to a disabled son in Seattle shouldn't be hard for her to secure housing tbh
You’re kidding, right?
Thats nice and all.

So I looked it up and here’s some factual non emotional fake internet tough guy information:

Eviction Timeline | Tenants Union

She would have had multiple opportunities to cure this situation and not be evicted.

Landlords can still be bad people :therethere:
I’m not going to take that from you.
Right, so I’m going to slow this down for you for a second because you’re a bit of a slow guy.

I’m an attorney. One of the areas I do a substantial amount of work in is landlord-tenant law. I provide legal representation for tenants facing evictions, discrimination, and administrative issues if they’re receiving HUD funding. So what I’m stating is what actually happens, not what a random internet user can glean from a tenants union website. To start: there’s no requirement for your landlord to allow you to cure the late payment issue, unless there’s been a pattern and practice of them accepting late or partial payments, generally over the course of several years. So once you’re served with your notice to leave the premises, it’s up to the landlord or property manager to accept the amount in full (plus late fees) or for them to reject the rental payment and file a complaint for forcible entry and detainer.

The “chances” you get to cure are up the landlord. That’s it. And commercial landlords - even with the U.S. federal government giving out millions in ERA funds with no oversight to landlords with tenants even slightly behind - are not particularly charitable or flexible.