I feel like america is getting a more health oriented mindset

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
It seems like 1 out of every 5 people I meet runs, niche hobbies like lifting are now mainstream, and a lot of people don't seem to be buying into the old food pyramid with 11 servings of carbs a day

not to mention the market is totally flooded with health products, and special diet oriented products (like gluten free food and probiotic products) are easily accessible and the internet is also full of health related research

:blessed:

It seems like it's being exploited at times tho, but as long as people are trying to be healthy, it's all good :blessed:

Last edited:

Raava

Staff member
Daps
I agree to a point. I also think due to social media people are more concerned with how they look but a lot are still not that health concious. Like on instagram their are ton of waist trainers, wraps, diets, drinks etc... There are a lot people who still just want the looks without the work.

On the flipside there are lots more resources, for healthy eating, workout programs, exercises via social media. as well. The fit/muscular body type is popular. Like you said lesser known niche areas are becoming more mainstream.

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
I agree to a point. I also think due to social media people are more concerned with how they look but a lot are still not that health concious. Like on instagram their are ton of waist trainers, wraps, diets, drinks etc... There are a lot people who still just want the looks without the work.

On the flipside there are lots more resources, for healthy eating, workout programs, exercises via social media. as well. The fit/muscular body type is popular. Like you said lesser known niche areas are becoming more mainstream.
yeah, you see those types that come into the gym, take pics and do pretty much nothing sometimes :patrice:
and you know, thats true, the health craze probably has a lot to do with the age we're in, where your image is really important, socially

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
IDK man. Obesity rates are on the rise. I thought the same thing until I started my current job. Its amazing to see what decades of neglect and malnutrition can do to the human body. I agree with whoever said social media has created an illusion of fitness that may not necessarily be. I think it has drawn some folks more into fitness, but at the same time there are a growing number of folks NOT into it.

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
IDK man. Obesity rates are on the rise. I thought the same thing until I started my current job. Its amazing to see what decades of neglect and malnutrition can do to the human body. I agree with whoever said social media has created an illusion of fitness that may not necessarily be. I think it has drawn some folks more into fitness, but at the same time there are a growing number of folks NOT into it.
where do you work?
:mjcry: @ decades of neglect

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The šŸļø Of Relevancy
Yes and no. I was having this conversation with my friend. If EVerybody healthy and in shape, gyms, diet plans, and slim fast would still be around, but it wouldn't be as much of a moneymaker. Remember the thigh master, lol. But I had a interesting link of a state( or city?) banning fast food and yet the obesity rates rose.

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The šŸļø Of Relevancy
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...staurants-doesnt-curb-consumption-or-obesity/

The Washington Post

To Your Health
New fast food restaurants were banned in South L.A. Obesity rates rose dramatically

Comments 25

By Lenny Bernstein March 20
via the Los Angeles Times, which wrote this excellent story) at what happened when L.A. restricted the number of stand-alone fast food restaurants in South L.A.

Nothing. Well, nothing good, if you're interested in public health.

From 2007 to 2012, Rand found, the proportion of overweight and obese people increased across L.A. county, but rose significantly more in the area covered by the ban on new fast food outlets. About 700,000 people, many of them African American, live in those neighborhoods.

The study found that the proportion of obese and overweight people increased from 63 percent to 75 percent over those five years in South L.A., while it rose just one percentage point, from 57 percent to 58 percent, in the rest of L.A. County.

[Why do we still eat this way?]

Nor was L.A. able to keep out the restaurants it was targeting. The ordinance was crafted to apply only to "stand-alone restaurants with limited menus, items prepared in advance or prepared quickly, no table orders and disposable containers," according to the Times. So 17 new fast food outlets that shared space in strip malls opened in the area between 2008 and 2012, the Rand study showed.

Taking on long-established preferences for fast food is a difficult and complicated process, behaviorally and legally. New York last year lost its high-profile attempt to ban huge, sugary sodas, when the state Supreme Court struck down the law. Adding calorie counts to menus hasn't had a dramatic impact on consumer choices so far.

It may be that the South L.A. ban on fast food outlets needs more time to be effective. An unrelated study found a slight drop in obesity between 2009 and 2013 in that area, from 35.4 percent of the population, to 32.7 percent.

[Watercress tops list of powerhouse fruits and vegetables]

Curbing a fast food habit is no easy matter. In "The End of Overeating," former FDA Commissioner David Kessler said the problem is a combination of the addictive nature of salt, fat and sugar added to many foods and social mores that allow the consumption of vast quantities.

Here's a guide from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on changing unhealthful eating habits.

Good luck.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
I think it depends, because access to great co op markets and health food stores are usually in well to do neighborhoods. It may be a bit more displayed, especially in more mainstream conventional grocery stores, but at the same time most people are still reliant on convenience. The environment here is all about convenience so processed foods are still way more popular then real whole foods (pun intended). I've always had weird looks from people because I'm strict with diet, even at work. I'm always turning down people's offers for food because I'm very conscious of what I put in my body and because of that my body simply cannot handle food that's not natural. Although I think the organic fad is bullshyt. As long as food is fresh, you can always wash it in citrus water and clean off all the pesticides. It's all a marketing campaign. People just need to do their research and be more aware. My mother is a dietician so I've always been aware of those things and she never really let me eat crap growing up. As much as I resented that I'm grateful for that now.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To be honest Americans really don't have as much knowledge and correct information as they think in regards to health, and that's because of the money driven culture. The regulating agencies are basically punked by the corporations so they'll tell you something is healthy when it's not. And it's amazing the number of people who still think eating three meals a day or having a big breakfast is natural. A lot of this stuff is normal now but it's natural. If you're cooking it, if it's not a raw food, if it's dairy, if it's meat, if there's artificial sugar, then it's probably not as healthy as you think.