How much is 1 billion Spotify streams worth?

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

Not to mention how much is taken from all other fees:

A few years ago a producer I knew got two features: one with Future and another with The Weeknd. The two biggest artists at the time. Made a whole whopping total $80k. That's considered actually really good. Now all he has to repeat that follow-up and somehow land more super features if he wants to be wealthy.

That was pretty much the reason why I stopped trying to go for a career in the music industry, fully focus on my career writing software instead and building those skills up. The chances of striking it big in the profession and even make a living are so small and you realize you're now up against kids who'll sell 100 beats for like $10 and will sell rights to a hit for a pair of Jordan's.

Trying to make a living off of that as a grown adult is rough because clout doesn't pay the bills and building up something off your clout is a serious amount of work and investment (especially as an adult). I still make music every now and then for fun, but nowhere near as A1 and my time is devoted to a lot of other things.

Some person I personally know made the same decision and went into the same field. In fact he went from a Billboard/Grammy's (one of those) Awards show after-parties directly to his first day at the software company the morning after and never looked back.

Last edited:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Snoop is about to leak the business. He better chill lol. They make a billion streams sound like a lot but apparently they’re not worth too much

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
dude tweeting is right. you can get lump sums of money but not a steady income unless you want to go on a gruelling touring run year to year and already have fans

if you don't you not eating off no streams. but to blame the labels is also bogus. people had the option of buying digital. they rather stream. they don't value the music. a lot of artists sell digital downloads of their albums which is better in theory than streaming revenue but that don't register with the masses who are now playlist oriented listeners not album fans.

fans telling people in the industry "there are many famous rich artists" there are many fronts. stop the bullshyt. the minority are rich. the majority have no steady income from this shyt. YOU AS LIKELY TO GET RICH OFF MUSIC AS YOU ARE TO WIN THE LOTTERY. if those odds don't help people understand what it is as a career choice then :yeshrug:

what snoop said is not a secret it's been said for over 10 years now. why do people think all these big artists were selling their catalogues for hundreds of millions in the last few years? they won't see that anytime soon from streaming revenue.

in reality there is a pre and post MAJOR industry landscape. the budgets are smaller now, the payouts are smaller now. the investment into building artists are few and far between. if your music doesn't have value in the future nobody will offer you 100 million today to sell your holdings. you made dirt that was relevant today only. you gonna struggle later. Older artists have said they have a very hard time convincing young buzzing artists to invest in shyt outside music when they get their first major income. Their publishing won't be worth shyt. not everyone's masters are worth something. they made music they won't be able to tour when they are older either. be cool and edgy now and irrelevant completely going forward or make music with substance

:yeshrug:

Not to mention how much is taken from all other fees:

A few years ago a producer I knew got two features: one with Future and another with The Weeknd. The two biggest artists at the time. Made a whole whopping total $80k. That's considered actually really good.

Now he has to repeat that follow-up and somehow land more super features if he wants to be wealthy.

Last edited:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Snoop is about to leak the business. He better chill lol. They make a billion streams sound like a lot but apparently they’re not worth too much
:what:

he not leaking shyt. profit splits are public

all those years ago when Aloe Blacc had a random hit with "i need a dollar" and it was on tv movies etc and he got billions of streams he told the world he made 10k back then.

people ignore pertinent information then act shocked. artists don't like to do homework, all this info is not hidden. you seeing many young head rappers caught up in other shyt because they are hustling backwards but still pretending to be living lavish off rap. if people wanted to take the veil off the game they would just look at all the information it is out here..

snoop tried getting off the streaming sites to make a death row only app. only the most diehard hardcore fanatic would sit there and listen to death row music all day only on an app. people want everything in one place convenience. they are not going to download individual artist streaming apps etc... i said when he pulled all that music his strategy was dated and he lacked good advice. He fell back and put all that shyt back on digital streaming platforms to get his peanuts of revenue because that's the game TODAY.

Dont@Me

😡
Daps

all those years ago when Aloe Blacc had a random hit with "i need a dollar" and it was on tv movies etc and he got billions of streams he told the world he made 10k back then.

people ignore pertinent information then act shocked. artists don't like to do homework, all this info is not hidden. you seeing many young head rappers caught up in other shyt because they are hustling backwards but still pretending to be living lavish off rap. if people wanted to take the veil off the game they would just look at all the information it is out here..

snoop tried getting off the streaming sites to make a death row only app. only the most diehard hardcore fanatic would sit there and listen to death row music all day only on an app. people want everything in one place convenience. they are not going to download individual artist streaming apps etc... i said when he pulled all that music his strategy was dated and he lacked good advice. He fell back and put all that shyt back on digital streaming platforms to get his peanuts of revenue because that's the game TODAY.
What we gon do with our music collection once Spotify collapses? :lupe:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps

They got folks thinking a billion streams is a lot

Snoop thought so too but was humbled

People are too far gone with this streaming shyt. Snoop had to put stuff back cause younger people who stream the most ain’t trying to play random old Death Row songs. Pulling them when he did was stupid. Get the little change you can.

I stream a lot but I still have a cd collection, hard drives, and vinyl in my house if I need them.

Honestly, I don’t get why people even care to do music anymore

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
What you're supposed to do as an artist is build your reputation with your music. Then get your money in other things.

99% of artists won't see success like Snoop has purely off music. The dude changed music. How many times has that happened?

Great breakdown for people who don't know how it works:

Kenny brought up another band who used their record advance money that you're supposed to spend on your career on buying an apartment building. Then they bought another.

Paid back all they owed the music industry and retired.

Last edited:

Solomon Lurke

My Boys Dey Be Lurkin...
Daps
Reppin
The Shadows
Not saying there isn’t a lot of fxckery going on with streaming but someone addressed this particular situation:

The song he's talking about is "Young, Wild and Free." This is $45,000 from one song.

Snoop might own some of his masters, but it looks like Atlantic Records owns this one, so his main revenue source would be songwriting credits.

Wikipedia says the song was written by: "Calvin Broadus (Snoop), Cameron Thomaz (Wiz Khalifa), Peter Hernandez (Bruno Mars), Philip Lawrence, Ari Levine, Cristopher Brown, Ted Bluechel, Marlon Barrow, Tyrone Griffin, Keenon Jackson, Nye Lee, Marquise Newman, Max Bennett, Larry Carlton, John Guerin, Joe Sample, and Tom Scott".

Person 4, 5 and 6 are, alongside Bruno Mars, the credited producers.

The song samples "Toot it and Boot It" by YG and Ty Dolla Sign, and names 8-12 are all the composers of the song.

But "Toot It and Boot It" was also built on two samples itself! "Songs in the Wind" by the Association (written by name 7), and "Sneakin' in the Back" by Tom Scott (not that Tom Scott) (written by names 13-17).

I'm not sure how much royalties you can expect when you're one of 17 credited songwriters on one song you don't even own which samples a song that also samples songs.

I think $45k is pretty damned good.

Snoop's discography consists of 19 studio albums, five collaborative albums, 17 compilation albums, three extended plays, 25 mixtapes, 175 singles (including 112 as a paid feature), and 16 promotional singles. He has sold over 12.5 million albums in the United States alone.

Don't be feeling too sorry for Snoop. Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr. doin' just fine with a net worth estimated at about $160 million.