How many TBs do you think I'll need on an external HD?

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I plan on transferring my CDs. I have somewhere between 1k-2k CDs. I know most of you cats are already on the wave, so how much memory will I need?

Will 4 TBs be enough? Maybe 1-2 TB less?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Just get Tidal HiFi ($25 a month) and you'll get lossless tracks. It's cheaper and easier than ripping 2k cds (that would take forever). If you don't care about lossless (aka CD quality), go with Spotify. It's cheaper, but the tracks aren't cd quality.

Also, it really depends on the quality of your headphones or speakers. If you're running Senheiser HD 800s with an Oppo amp like me (humble brag, I know, I know...), you want the best quality possible (which is Tidal HiFi). If you got beats or whatever, or don't have a headphone amp, just get spotify.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Just get Tidal HiFi ($25 a month) and you'll get lossless tracks. It's cheaper and easier than ripping 2k cds (that would take forever). If you don't care about lossless (aka CD quality), go with Spotify. It's cheaper, but the tracks aren't cd quality.

Also, it really depends on the quality of your headphones or speakers. If you're running Senheiser HD 800s with an Oppo amp like me (humble brag, I know, I know...), you want the best quality possible (which is Tidal HiFi). If you got beats or whatever, or don't have a headphone amp, just get spotify.
Not a stream head. I know it'll take a long ass time, but I prefer to "own" my shyt.

Thanks for the info tho. I'll bookmark it for possible future use.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Not a stream head. I know it'll take a long ass time, but I prefer to "own" my shyt.
You'll probably want twice as much since you'll want to back it up.

But to answer your question, just grab a 6tb. They're relatively cheap right now (just over a 100). And I assume you'll be adding more music to your catalog over time.

But more importantly you should probably put some time into how you're going to organize your music. It'd be a shame to move that much data and have it it shambles.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
You'll probably want twice as much since you'll want to back it up.

But to answer your question, just grab a 6tb. They're relatively cheap right now (just over a 100). And I assume you'll be adding more music to your catalog over time.

But more importantly you should probably put some time into how you're going to organize your music. It'd be a shame to move that much data and have it it shambles.
I'm already an organized person, so I got that in check.