how is it worth buying a home when you live in an area where good ones are 300k+

M617

retired
Supporter
Daps
im trying to figure out the reasoning behind this. i know this topic has been done before but lets talk about home ownership in expensive cities like Boston, Toronto, San Francisco, NYC, LA etc. not cities like Dallas or Cleveland or outside Atlanta where its so damn cheap

after loads of research if i was to stay in the Boston area i would have to move over 20 miles away(never going to happen) to find houses that are cheap. within the city limits or just outside the city you will not be buying a good house for under 300k and thats the lower end by far

so 300k you need like 60k to throw down for 20%.....60k is manageable after a few years of work but you would literally have to throw like all your cash on a house. is it even worth it at that point? wouldnt it be smarter to just rent and save that lump sum and live lavish and not have a headache?

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Some people have careers and children and cant up and move, so they buy in the market they have to live in.

:yeshrug:

M617

retired
Supporter
Daps
20 mile commute aint shyt bro...its the 40, 50 mile commutes that's :whoa:

20 miles outside of Boston is boring though, other than a handful of smaller towns cities theres no diversity,nothing special and id have to drive back to the city to do what i really like doing its just boring small town america. im staying in the city or a city that borders it if my life depends on it

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
20 miles outside of Boston is boring though, other than a handful of smaller towns cities theres no diversity,nothing special and id have to drive back to the city to do what i really like doing its just boring small town america. im staying in the city or a city that borders it if my life depends on it

Back when I lived in Wilmington, it was a straight shot into Philadelphia. 32 mile drive. From my house to Center City in 40 minutes. I could do that everyday if need be for work. Only problem I could say is if you wanted to go back to the city for a night out or whatever, it would be gay having to drive back and forth. From my point of view, a 20 mile commute aint shyt.