How is it even legal for Apple and Google to do this?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Both mandate all apps on their platforms use their billing. Both take a 30% cut of anything sold from that billing. Almost overnight all the digital bookstores like Kindle and Nook pretty much had to stop selling books on those mobile platforms because giving those companies a 30% cut when book publishers set the prices makes it unprofitable to sell digital books. Now Google and Apple are the only digital bookstores on their respective platforms. Even in the Microsoft antitrust days I'm not even sure it got that bad.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
it crept up slowly and the lawmakers who can change it have NO Fukien clue how tech works it's astonishing

raf

Rookie
Daps
Digital merchandise is pretty new, so there probably aren't much laws regarding how long a company has to support a platform and purchases made on that platform. Start petitions and contact your local politicians.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Can't you just purchase an ebook on the web(Safari/Chrome) on the device and sync to the App?
Yeah that’s what I do. Either that or add it to my book list and buy it on a PC later. I used to buy them from the Amazon app though not the Kindle one. I hate reading actual books on my phone so I don’t really use the Kindle app still I think it’s messed up they can suppress competition like that knowing it benefits their digital stores.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Who cares. I’ve had the kindle app on my iPhone for years and I’ll always go to the Amazon site to buy the books and read it on my kindle app. The process literally takes less than a minute. It’s really not a big deal.